Removing flywheel on 1995 Evinrude 115 HK OceanPro (60 deg looper)

whisky

Cadet
I have got an universal flywheel puller, and got bolts for it the same size as the five ones holding the flywheel (5/16?). However the service manual states to use the original Evinrude puller (costs a fortune) and 3/8-25 bolts.

Not sure, but it may look like two of the holes are threaded 3/8 the top 1/3 inch or so, could that be the case?

Since my puller can't fit 3/8 inch bolts, I am wondering if I could pull the flywheel using my (smaller) bolts, and if so, which holes in the flywheel to use and how far to screw in the bolts?
20130731_213229_resized.jpg

Re: Removing flywheel on 1995 Evinrude 115 HK OceanPro (60 deg looper)

I just took mine off a 90 HP, looks identical. pull the 5 bolts out of the flywheel, tap with a rubber hammer lightly to break it loose. Then, get ready to pull. The only thing you'd need a puller for is if you can't pull more than the magnets of the flywheel and stator. I was able to get mine off pretty easy. Good Luck.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It's best to use the factory flywheel puller as you can tear up your fingers trying to pull it off or putting it back on. Those magnets are super strong and there is very little finger room on the top of the engine. Those magnets can pull the flywheel down with such force that you could really damage or even break several fingers. It has happened more than once.

whisky

Cadet

Thanks. Flywheel was easy to remove once I got the 3/8 bolts and drilled larger holes in my puller. Came right off. No pounding with a hammer required.

But when I put it back on, one of the bolts broke. Think the torque wrench I bought the same day is bad. Hopefully I will be able to get the bolt out and return the torque wrench to the store. Damn thing costed 100$

Any thoughts on what is the best way to get the bolt out without damaging the threads of the Flywheel, ?

phillnjack2

Ensign

Drill a 1/8th hole in the bolt and use a easy out (that what we call them over here) i think its eezy out over there.
its just a stud extractor thing like a bolt with tapering drill looking effort.
they do work realy good.
if its leven with flywheel then just cut a groove in the bolt with mini grinding blade and use screwdriver to get it out.

sounds like either very weak bolts or about 150 pounds of force maybe more on it to break it.

what is the correct torque of the flywheel bolt according to omc/brp ?

and yes i agree the factory puller is mental high price, considering the price of the engines new they should come for free

phill

whisky

Cadet

Returned the torque wrench and got a new one. The store confirmed it was indeed broken. They had a digital wrench for 300$, but I went for a working version of the same one.

But today the weather is terrible and I am doing this on the water in the marina, so will have to wait.

Will go get an easy out until then. Thanks :)

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Question, I'm curious. I'm completely ignorant of this motor, but can some explain how you use a fly wheel puller to re-install the fly wheel? Especially to the point to break a bolt.

whisky

Cadet

The bolt broke tightening it. The flywheel on this motor is held in place by 5 bolts.

Fixed now btw. Runs and charges the battery just better than ever