Link and sync 1962 28hp johnson

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m trying to understand how to link and sync this motor. I have tried to do this but can’t get the scribed line on the cam and pointer to line up before the roller engages the throttle butterfly. It’s as if the throttle rod that’s connected to the throttle arm over rides the roller and cam and therefore adjusting eccentric doesn’t help .I can get the pointer and scribed line to line up correctly by adjusting the throttle rod so it’s less engaging but then I can’t get full throttle? I was lining the scribed line and pointer up using the throttle control but I’m not sure if this is correct? Should I be using the armature plate? If someone could give me a step by step procedure on how to do this it would be appreciated
Regards Kevin

Last edited:

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Link and sync 1962 28hp johnson

I have managed to get a Clymer shop manual which seems to give a good step by step procedure. However the last step in the procedure states that you need to adjust the control rod collar (when armature base is at full spark position) to provide 1/32" clearance from the pivot pin, therefore I'm assuming that you need to release this collar before you do any of the initial steps, so the throttle rod has no effect on the cam mark pointer alignment?.Also read somewhere(not in manual) that you need to have the motor in gear when doing this procedure, what difference does it make? Any insights to this procedure would be appreciated as this is the first time I have ever worked on one of these engines.

Kevin

Last edited: