1983 Johnson

140tlcte

Recruit
I could use some help with my 1983 Johnson outboard two strorke it runs good (5200rpms maxed out) but only with the hood off the moter like its starving for air I replaced the coils plugs wires fuel pump gas,any ideas thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Moved this post from http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...evinrude-outboards/635488-1993-johnson-140-hp

We prefer members starting their own threads about their problems instead of tagging onto an old thread, It maximizes exposure and is easier to get the help you're looking for. Look at the Hep Tip on top of the page for a full explanation.

I take it your username is the model number of your 140.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
welcome-1.gif

Bad seal between the powerhead and the lower cowl and/or bad gasket allowing exhaust gas into the motor cover. Check also that the air intake in the cover is unobstructed.

Hiding the model number as your user name is not helpful. If GA_Boater had not spotted it I would simply have asked for it before answering you question.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry I tried about 10 user names thanks for your help

No problem, 140.

Look at what Vic.S suggested. When a motor runs poorly with the covers on, those are the usual suspects.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Why is this thread still showing 0 responses in the index. Is it because its been moved from another thread

Last edited: