1994 Evinrude 25 hp carb rebuild - gen. questions

edoubleu

Cadet
Hi,
I've been working on this 25 HP (E25EERR) motor for a few months now, trying to get it running perfect, or at least close to perfect. When I started running the engine the first few times on the water, it wouldn't idle well at all but ran WOT with no problem. I would have to throttle it mid-way then quickly put it in gear and then take off. I ran carb cleaner through it a few times and I read that I could take out the needle valve adapter (with needle valve still assembled) and the orifice plug (#30), spray cleaner in those to help as well. It seemed to help the idle issue...mostly. Engine has been running at idle perfectly since but now at full throttle, it start to lose power and wants to die. Cutting throttle to 1/2, it runs pretty good. I've decided the best thing to do is rebuild the carb and start with all new parts. Rebuild kit is on it's way.
Does this sound like it could be a dirty, gummed up carb or possibly a setting that needs to be adjusted?
Also, as I look at my carb and compare it to parts on the engine diagram I see online, I notice the core plugs. The rebuild kit comes with a few, but on my carb, the core plug on the side (#4) is a screen. I inherited this boat/motor and this my first time working on it. Would there be a screen there for a reason? Is the core plug missing or does it seem like it was replaced with this screen?
I'm wondering if this has something to do with the carb not running correctly.

Any insight would be great, thanks

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1994 Evinrude 25 hp carb rebuild - gen. questions

The screen (#4) appears to be the right part. I've seen it before on other carbs.

Last edited:

edoubleu

Cadet
Re: 1994 Evinrude 25 hp carb rebuild - gen. questions

thanks jasper60103. After looking at the carb again last night, the screen is permanently attached. There are punch or crimp-type grooves to hold in place. Seems odd to have one version of the carb with a completely covered port using the core plug and another version with the same port completely open. The only version that comes up in any parts diagram is the one with the core plugs. Guess I'll "extra" parts with my rebuild.