88 hp johnson hard to start after running for a few minutes.

avalnch

Recruit
just bought this boat about a month ago. its a pontoon with a 1994 88hp johnson. when purchased i changed lower unit oil, changed spark plugs and it ran fine. it has always run great with no problems until the other day. started it up to unload from trailer, loaded up the family and headed out. I only ran it for about 10 min before shutting it off to eat. About 15 min later when i went to start it back up it wouldn't start. I pump the bulb, engaged the chock, lifted up the idler, and it wouldn't start. I attempted for about 15 min and decided to let it sit awhile. tried again after about an hour and still no luck. after about 10-15 more min it finally started and ran fine. I was afraid to shut the boat off again so i just went home. the next morning i hooked up the water hose to it and it fired right up......... did i flood it and is there a trick to starting an outboard if it's flooded?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 hp johnson hard to start after running for a few minutes.

I assume you did check to make sure the fuel primer bulb was supplying fuel to the engine... bulb pumped up hard.

There's no trick... it should have fired up and run normally. Although I retired in 1991, I doubt if the circuitry has changed too greatly so I'll put my two cents worth in here.

Look closely to inspect the stator under the flywheel. The stator is the beginning of both the battery charging system and also the ignition system. There are two large coils embedded in that stator ring, one at the extreme front and one at the extreme rear of the stator which deliver the AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor.

Should the stator overheat for any reason (usually a failed rectifier), it may crack slightly and drip a sticky looking substance down upon the timer base and powerhead area. The result is that the outgoing AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor drops, and this in turn results in weak ignition and eventually no ignition.

When this type problem starts, a cold stator may provide the proper spark, but as it heats up which it does, especially when you shut the engine down... all the heat rises up to the flywheel area with the result being that the ignition may be non existent until the engine (and the stator) cools down whereas the ignition returns somewhat.

So check the stator visually and also for its ohm resistance as stated in your manual, and should this condition exist, replace the stator.

avalnch

Recruit
Re: 88 hp johnson hard to start after running for a few minutes.

I assume you did check to make sure the fuel primer bulb was supplying fuel to the engine... bulb pumped up hard.

There's no trick... it should have fired up and run normally. Although I retired in 1991, I doubt if the circuitry has changed too greatly so I'll put my two cents worth in here.

Look closely to inspect the stator under the flywheel. The stator is the beginning of both the battery charging system and also the ignition system. There are two large coils embedded in that stator ring, one at the extreme front and one at the extreme rear of the stator which deliver the AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor.

Should the stator overheat for any reason (usually a failed rectifier), it may crack slightly and drip a sticky looking substance down upon the timer base and powerhead area. The result is that the outgoing AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor drops, and this in turn results in weak ignition and eventually no ignition.

When this type problem starts, a cold stator may provide the proper spark, but as it heats up which it does, especially when you shut the engine down... all the heat rises up to the flywheel area with the result being that the ignition may be non existent until the engine (and the stator) cools down whereas the ignition returns somewhat.

So check the stator visually and also for its ohm resistance as stated in your manual, and should this condition exist, replace the stator.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will check this out first thing... Thanks again.:joyous: