Issue with ignition 1961 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice
I just spent 2 hours cleaning the whole magneto assembly, all the points and everything. I got great strong sparks from both plugs. I put them in the engine, and she starts up. Then i kill the switch, and she wont start back up. Open up the peep whole on the top of the flywheel and the points are still in place, but i just cant get any sparks anymore. I dont get this, i just cleaned the whole freakin magneto and all its components, it worked and then it just stopped???

Help!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Issue with ignition 1961 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP

You may have some dirt on the points. Try cleaning them up with a piece of paper dipped in some acetone.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

How would there be any dirt on the points if i just cleaned the whole magneto assembly and the flywheel?

64osby

Admiral

Are the coils old or new? Old coils often stop working after they warm up, then will work again when cool.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

i couldnt tell you. They look new, they are all black and have no visible cracks.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

but last night i got a spark, then the same thing happened, and today i didnt get a spark until i rebuilt the magneto and cleaned out everything, then it started then i couldnt get another spark.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

and it still wont get a spark... i think the coils would have been cooled by now.

AlTn

Commander

have you tried unhooking the wires <2> that run from under the flywheel down to the stop switch and then seeing if you have spark?

What have you done to the ignition system in terms of new components and disassembly? Have you had the plate down to it's barest and inspected all the wires for bare spots or possible pinch points?

As info..recently checked the resistance measurements in some new coils like yours...coils unattached and loose in hand...I got 1.3 ohms between the green and black wire...4.66K between either wire and the spike that the sparkplug wire twist onto

I have also experienced a bad ground on the spark tester itself. As a second tester I did as suggested in past posts and took an old sparkplug and opened the gap to 1/4" then ,with the sparkplug wire on the plug, just ground the metal part of the plug to the block and the spark ususally jumps from the center electrode out to the rim. With both plugs out, you can pull with one hand and hold the plug against the block with the other.

As already suggested clean the points again and check. You'll get it tracked down just don't lose patience. I've been in the same headscratching position my ownself.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

RCPro88... Assuming that the coils and condensers are okay, start from scratch and do the following.

(Regular Magneto Coils - Continuity Test)
(J. Reeves)

Checking the continuity of the ignition coils....... Have the ohm meter set to High Ohms.

Remove the primary wire from points. Remove the coil ground wire. You do not want either of these wires touching anything.
Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground wire of the coil.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the primary wire. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire.

If there is no continuity between the secondary circuit (spark plug) wire and the primary or ground, remove the coil from the armature plate, then check the continuity directly between the prong within the coil (prong that the plug wire connects to) and the primary and ground. Poor or no continuity of a coil (or plug wire) is one reason for weak spark, s/plug fouling, or no spark.

---------------------
(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creates friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

---------------------
(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP embossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

I got one sparkplug to work, it had a very strong thick blue spark, however the other one no matter what didnt want to. I kept getting backfires and the motor sounded like it was about to start but then died, im guessing it didnt want to run on one cylinder.
So im ordering new points, condenser and coils, just replacing them all.
This should set me up for the trip to the lake of the Ozarks next week.
My compression is 120 psi, and 118 psi.
Im getting fuel and did a carb rebuild
So im making sure the magneto assembly is flawless.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did the woodruff key shear? The flywheel must have the right torque to prevent that.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

yea, the wood drift key did shear, the previous owner broke it without telling me.
I dont think that would prevent a spark in one spark plug.
But ill replace it while im replacing all the electronics in the magneto assembly

nwcove

Admiral

just a word of advice.....do not use a hardware store woodruff key, or even a sierra key. get the omc/brp part! jmo

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

just a word of advice.....do not use a hardware store woodruff key, or even a sierra key. get the omc/brp part! jmo

nwcove is correct.... Use the factory key # 307480. The other keys will simply result in double work!