1991 evinrude 155 commercial problems

lastchance32

Cadet
Working on this boat for a friend. Bought boat and engine separately and just finished rigging it. First time out on the water I had a fuel restriction alarm, but seemed to be running properly. I shut it down and checked all the fuel lines, valves, filters, and bulb. Found the problem, had blockage in the line between the fitting on the cowl and filter. Took boat back out and it ran great, 5500 rpm wot @ 57 MPH. Shut down boat to do some fishing, when I restarted, it would not get on plane. Seemed to be running very weak. Took it back home went through the carbs, and did not help. Everything seems good at idle, not missing or rough, but when you throttle up in gear, it is not revving up like it did before. Any thoughts or suggestions?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 evinrude 155 commercial problems

Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if it's running on all the cylinders. Have you checked your spark on an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16 "

Last edited:

lastchance32

Cadet

Found cyl#5 no spark. swapped coils to no avail. robbed CDI box from a parts motor and viola, spark on all 6. the CDI that I took off only had about 1 hr of run time. What would have caused the premature failure?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Was it a new pack or used ?? If it was new there should be some kind of warranty on it. New ones have been known to go bad.

lastchance32

Cadet

pack was brand new. Watched him take it from the package. I plan on calling him to see if there is a warranty, but I doubt it. The guy that sold the engine was not a dealer, but an independent shop, he just happened to have a new one on hand. The boat is running great now.