1976 Evinrude 115 Missing, No Power, Tach Erratic

sailagape

Cadet
It did this same thing the other day and I changed plugs, gave it a quick squirt of staring fluid, changed fuel supply, but nothing seemed to help - then it just started running right again. Now it's back. Sounds like it's starving for fuel. But I think it's electrical. I also noticed this time that the tach is jumping erratically, like it's grounding out or something. This motor was just rebuilt, including carbs about 50 hours ago. What's up?

sailagape

Cadet
Re: 1976 Evinrude 115 Missing, No Power, Tach Erratic

How do I do that? Or, can I take the rectifier into a shop and have them do it? Where is it?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You can with a cheap multimeter, much cheaper than a shop will charge
Rectifier/Regulator Bench Tests
1. Diode plate check:
With all wires disconnected from the rectifier/regulator, using a meter set on its Diode scale, test the diodes
from each of the two battery charge wires/terminals (typically Yellow wires/terminals) to the Red wire/terminal.
You should get a reading one way but not the other. Check the resistance from each of the Yellow
wires/terminals to case ground. You should have a high reading, typically in the M range. The Red
wire/terminal should not read to ground, but may show a very high reading (25M ohms or more)."

Itl be on the rear side if motor where all the wires connect to a terminal strip

sailagape

Cadet

Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help. I'll borrow a multi-tester and check it out.