Noise from carbs when pumping primer bulb. 86 120 ER

Cudos

Seaman
I have a 86 120 ER, just wondering if its normal to hear air leak sounds from the carb area when the primer bulb gets hard and you give it a few extra squeezes.

Cheers

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Noise from carbs when pumping primer bulb. 86 120 ER

Yes but not for too many squeezes, it should stop eventually and the bulb should not be able to be squeezed anymore. Unless you try and be Mr Universe then and squeeze it but that bursts something.
That sound is just the air in fuel bowl being forced through the idle channels as the fuel fills it up

Last edited:

Cudos

Seaman

Thanks Bosunsmate, I figured it was probably fuel just being pushed around, I do stop after I hear it and the bulb becomes firmer.

Thank-You!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does the mtr run okay ??

Cudos

Seaman

Hey boobie, umm hard to say, it will idle for a bit then want to sneeze and die, I also have a dead spot at about 1500 rpm, if you try to throttle up slowly it will start to die, which is when you have to nut it wide open to keep it going. The same goes for throttling down to that 1500 rpm range, it will start to die then I have put it in neutral and hit the fast idle. pain in the ***.

Once she's at full speed though it runs great, and will putz around nicely at about 2800 -3000 rpm. Just that damn 1500 rpm range.

Cheers

Last edited:

willy007

Seaman

With that issue you probably have a blockage in your intermediate orifice in one of your carbs... it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check it.