1954 evinrude 7.5 flywheel trouble

Ronnio

Cadet
I just finished replacing coil, points, condensor,plugs etc. I tried putting the flywheel on and could not get it to sit against the timing cam at the bottom of the shaft for the life of me!! I had to battle to get the flywheel off and I though that maybe I damaged it so I bought a used one in great shape thinking I just messed the original one up. Got it in the mail today, go to throw it on and NO GO. It will Not seat against that cam either. I have cleaned the hell outta the shaft and flywheel tapers. I have the nut tightened and can lift the flywheel up and down enough to hear it clunk a lil. The whole crankshaft is moving with it. Any ideas as to what's goin on here? Is it supposed to move a little? I'm new to all this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks all

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1954 evinrude 7.5 flywheel trouble

Check to make sure that the key is seated in properly. If it isnt that could be preventing the flywheel from seating all the way.

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

and check the fly wheel for anything that could be obstructing the key from entering properly. Make sure you have the slot and the key lined up as well.
If anything, id say put some lithium grease on it and see if it helps.
Also is the flywheel hard to pull off after you try to put it on? or does it come back off easily?

Ronnio

Cadet

Hard to get off for sure. How do I maneuver the key? Seems pretty snug in there

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

The key wont be able to just pop out, you will have to take the whole mag plate off, because the key run down the whole length. Anyways, try to take a hammer and gently tap it in there, if it should shift back a little, even the smallest shift will fix you issue. If not, check the dimensions on the key and that on the inside of the fly wheel. Who knows, maybe the previous owner sheared the key and replaced it with a wrong one that might be too big.
My guess is that the key shifted out of place.
If you measure it and the numbers say it wont fit, then some filing may be needed.
Also some keys are tapered, so it might be too big on the lower part of the taper. Measure width and how far it sticks out.

nwcove

Admiral

DO NOT PUT ANY GREASE ON THE TAPER!!! yikes!!! the key should be vertical....ie...not aligned with the taper, but aligned with the crankshaft. a tiny bit of up and down movement is normal. any side to side wobble is not good.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The flywheel doesn't rest against the cam. I suspect you have no issue at all. There should be a small amount of up and down play in crank.

lindy46

Captain

Are your coils properly mounted/aligned?