Johnson 135 flooding with new gas tank, regulator?

Bonedog73

Recruit
Hello I have a 74 Johnson 135 on my 16' boat. I'm not a mechanic so hope this makes sense. The tank in the front of the boat is rusted and all kinds of crap is getting sucked into the engine. So we hooked up a small 6Gal tank in the back to get us by. But I think the engine is flooding now? It will start and run if I hold the warm up handle up but when I lower it down to put into gear it dies. There was a couple times I got it into gear but soon as I gave it more gas it would quit. I was able to get it going for about 10 minutes and very slowly gave it more gas and it slowly worked its way up to full throttle then it crapped out. Wondering now if its flooding due to the tank being so close to the motor and it doesnt have to work that hard to pull the gas? The gas hose bulb is quite hard when squeezed and when I disconnect the hose there is gas there. It used to have a problem getting gas from the old rusty tank but now I think it's getting too much and flooding out? Is there some kind of regulator or something I can put on the tank or the line to stop it from flooding?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

bonedog

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 135 flooding with new gas tank, regulator?

Hey Bonedog. Welcome to Iboats.

too bad about the motor. It sounds like it's not getting enough gas as opposed to flooding. The warm up lever basically acts like a choke and increases the richness of the mixture. You could quickly check your connections, to make sure you not getting any air sucked into the fuel system.

the most likely culprit however is probably a plugged jet. If your old tank had all kinds of crap in it, chances are some of it got into your carb and is plugging a jet. Did you, or do you, have some kind of screen or fuel filter in place?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 135 flooding with new gas tank, regulator?

The warm up lever doesn't act like a choke. All it does is increase idle speed. When it wants to die try hitting your choke once. If it picks up, you have some dirty carbs.