Johnson 8 hp not working in forward or reverse?

Brink420

Recruit
Hello all,

Here is what I have going on? Possible linkage problem?

Late 1980's 8hp Johnson outboard for my inflatable dinghy will no longer shift to Forward or reverse. I am thinking it may be the linkage? The motor starts up good and runs good! Everything was good when all of a sudden the engine would no longer allow the boat to go forward or in reverse. When I would shift the lever on the side on the engine into forward, nothing happens, same for reverse? The engine runs fine. Please help, amateur here! :facepalm:

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Johnson 8 hp not working in forward or reverse?

Hello all,

Here is what I have going on? Possible linkage problem?

Late 1980's 8hp Johnson outboard for my inflatable dinghy will no longer shift to Forward or reverse. I am thinking it may be the linkage? The motor starts up good and runs good! Everything was good when all of a sudden the engine would no longer allow the boat to go forward or in reverse. When I would shift the lever on the side on the engine into forward, nothing happens, same for reverse? The engine runs fine. Please help, amateur here! :facepalm:

i would not suggest what you see in the video as a first thing to do.(jmo). i would remove the lu ( only three bolts) and try GENTLY rotating the shift rod with an adjustable wrench on the top. make sure to rotate the prop while doing so. you should feel it go into fw or rev. then spin the prop to see if the ds turns. also have a good look at the splines at the top of the ds for signs of wear or metal shavings.