Johnson 50HP control

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently picked up a 1990 Bass Buggy Pontoon with a 1995 Johnson 50hp on the back. The controls seems to be a bit difficult to move, but all the cables look to be in good condition. The problem is the lockout feature doesn't seem to work. It won't start in gear, but the finger lever that is normally pressed to allow shifting doesn't work, so you can just push forward and go. The other issue seems to be that it pops out to the rev/warmup mode too easy when you actually want to go into gear.

Are these serviceable or is this something that I should just look at replacing? If replacement, any recommendations? The motor does have tilt/trim, but right now that control is on the dash, it would be very nice to get it back on the controller, where I'm used to it.

I've looked and the prices seem to be about $200+, wondering if a good used one is even a viable option?! Are they all pretty compatible?

mauryc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson 50HP control

The units are very servicable. After you unmount from the boat, there are three screws on the back that will seperate the box. you can pull the pins out and remove the cables. This will allow operation of the unit without the resistance of the cables. Yours may need cleaning or parts replaced. the handle comes off with an allen head bolt. The red handle has a spring in it - again it may need cleaning or repair. lube everything up with good grease. Take pictures when you seperate the box so you know how it all goes back together. I recently built a single working control box out of two broken ones. Repainted the shells before I put it back together. Looks and works great.
Maury