1993 115 evinrude Idle problem.

bav/270w

Seaman Apprentice
First things first. Last summer I purchased a 1993 evinrude mod# VE115TLETS. VRO has been removed. Last year I originally had problems with; wouldn't idle, cutting out at wide open throttle and intermittent tach operation. This spring I replaced the rectifier and rebuilt carbs with new floats. (Found carbs were clean but float settings was set too low). Cleaned all jets with carb cleaner and small ran small wire thru jets to make sure they weren't clogged.
Now tach works fine, runs WOT good. Would idle with muff on in driveway but wouldn't Idle when boat was launched. My thoughts were not enough idle adjustment for the back pressure of the exhaust. I then submerge the lower unit in a 50 gallon trash can and adjusted the arm/lever to advance the timing til I reach 900 /1000 rpm. Idled this way for twenty minutes.
Yesterday, when first launched boat had a little problem at first start up but did idle for 5 minutes while waiting for trailer parker /wife to return. Again ran good while underway but would not idle even in neutral. Will stay running in neutral if I bump the throttle lever up a tab to 1100 rpm. Not usually a problem but with my control lever design I have to come back to center position to shift into gear and this is when it dies. Not fun when at a crowded boat dock or when trying to put boat back on trailer.
Another thought was since my motor sits a little lower than normal somebody else thought that maybe the two upper exhaust ports at the top of the lower unit (not sure what these ports are actually called) may be getting submerge when boat is loaded.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Randy000

Seaman
Re: 1993 115 evinrude Idle problem.

Man I wish I had some more info on what they found on my engine.. my 97 130 when I got it didnt run so good. After carb clean etc etc I got it to where your at now, ran good except at idle it always wanted to die..Sucks at docks and the ramp I know!
I took it to a guy and I wish I had more info but he said something about my carbs had an O-ring installed that the older carbs didnt need. Now I havnt opened my carbs in about a year so I dont remember if there was an oring on the float valve or not but sounded like he said it was sitting to high, he took the oring out and readjusted the floats and adjusted the mixtures and it ran/idles like a champ! Maybe someone here has more experience with this issue than I have and can elaborate on it. Good luck!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is very possible that the idle is low, and that can cause the idle problems you encounter. The lower the engine sits in the water, the more backpressure is exerted on the exhaust system-and the lower the idle. That idle is set by adjusting the idle screw on the timing advance lever. You set the idle when the boat is floating normally in the lake, when the engine is running in forward gear. Set it for between 650 and 700 rpm's. You can't set the idle when the boat is running on the trailer.

bav/270w

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Will try resetting idle next time we're out on the water.