1984 35 Hp. Evinrude lost 1000 RPM

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1984 35 Hp. Evinrude lost 1000 RPM

We'll be here. Spark check will tell a lot. If you have good spark on both cylinders then we're back to the carbs. When you take the carbs off again get a flashlight and look into the hole where the carbs go. These are your reed valves, shine it in there and see if there is something laying against them like a stray silencer bolt. Has happened a lot more than once.

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice

We'll be here. Spark check will tell a lot. If you have good spark on both cylinders then we're back to the carbs. When you take the carbs off again get a flashlight and look into the hole where the carbs go. These are your reed valves, shine it in there and see if there is something laying against them like a stray silencer bolt. Has happened a lot more than once.

Thanks Fireman,

I found the following info on in another thread. What do you think?? I would use 14 or 16 gage wire and wood screws. (Easy to adjust to 7/16")

Don't get me wrong it's just that I'm on a fixed income and would rathe not spend the 8 or 10 bucks on a tool that I may only use one time, and Harbor freight is on the other end of town.

Re: How to rig up a simple homade spark tester?

He said,
"I took 2 pieces of wood, about half inch by an inch and joined with a small piece of ply. I put a nail through each end of the wood blocks so points of the nails were just under half an inch apart. So you have a u shaped wooden structure holding 2 nails facing each other with a gap. Hook a wire and crocodile clip to the head of each nail (not the end where the spark will jump!)

Hook one wire to the block and the other end to the end of the HT lead. Hook the other HT lead to the block also or leave the plug in.
Crank and get someone to tell if you see a spark (or jump the solenoid so you can see what is going on at the back of the powerhead). If it jumps a gap of half an inch (7/16 I think is the figure?) or so then your sweet, apparently. I'm no expert, this is just what Joe Reeves advocates!

I had to lay my little tester on a wooden block as it kept arcing on the powerhead. It took me 2 mins to make and works really well.
Cheers

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture of the one I made, I used the spark plug but should only use a wire from the spark socket. IMG_0005.jpg

Btw did You get My pm?

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture of the one I made, I used the spark plug but should only use a wire from the spark socket. View attachment 212669

Btw did You get My pm?

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry again for taking so long, I really had nothing to report. Been busy.

I did the spark check, good spark at 7/16 lost it at just over 1/2"

Removed carb again, reeds and intake look good.

Still down 1000RPM.

Where do I go from here.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

All of the sudden my 84 Evinrude E35ELCRR is running about 1000 RPM or 10 MPH slower than it did.

The key (IMO) is the word "sudden".
Not sure whether timing would cause a "sudden" problem.
What sort of boat are you running?

....and just for giggles, what do YOU mean by "sudden"?
One year to the next? One trip to the next?.....

Last edited:

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice

The key (IMO) is the word "sudden".
Not sure whether timing would cause a "sudden" problem.
What sort of boat are you running?

....and just for giggles, what do YOU mean by "sudden"?
One year to the next? One trip to the next?.....

I have a 1970 Meyres 16' Semi V converted to a fishing machine. Raised decks, inclosed storage, aerated livewell and bait box, and LED lights. It's been a work in progress since I bought it in 1985. It's a little heavy for it's size but on flat water it did run 30 MPH at 4800 RPM until the end of last year. Then "all of the sudden" it went to 20 MPH & 3800 Revs.

When I say "all of the sudden" here's what happened. It was running fine, then I had it out two times when I didn't run it at WOT then the next time I ran it WOT it was down to 3800 Revs. instead of 4800.

Schranz

Cadet

Not that this is the answer but I had rebuilt my carb and forgot to put the red gasket on top of the fuel tower.. There wasnt one on there when i tore it apart which makes me think it rotted away. It ran slow and it didn't sound right. Needed to choke it so it would run better, but still ran like crap on water but on muffs it was great. Don't tear it down again just to check but try to remember. It takes along time to put back on

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for taking so long to get back, I hope everyone's summer is going better than mine. I've been having a Murphie's Law summer, if you know what I mean.

And the -1000 RPM problem is still there.

Since my last post I have tried several things to no avail. New spark plugs, power pack, ignition sensor and coil lamination assembly. Some of these were used parts and none made a bit of difference.

What to do now???

Robert Ellis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This probably isn't much of an answer but I'll throw it at you anyway. Given budget concerns etc. why not just enjoy it as is for the rest of the summer? Do you really need that extra 1000 rpm? It seems to scoot pretty good the way it is now. Who knows, it may return to it's former self just as suddenly as it degraded.

Can you tell I'm a psychologist lol

nwcove

Admiral
This probably isn't much of an answer but I'll throw it at you anyway. Given budget concerns etc. why not just enjoy it as is for the rest of the summer? Do you really need that extra 1000 rpm? It seems to scoot pretty good the way it is now. Who knows, it may return to it's former self just as suddenly as it degraded.

Can you tell I'm a psychologist lol

whats not acceptable? running 1000 rpms slower or a response from a psychologist?? lol

Last edited:

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice
Both, he must be nuts!! LOL I'm looking for some help here and he wants to talk about work. I can't tell if he's bragging or complaining about being a psychologist.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
lol....i dont think he's doing either, loosing a grand on rpms on a modded boat in a short time?.....id be looking more at water logged floatation than the motor itself.she may have gained a few pounds!! jmo

JBIII

Seaman Apprentice
Wrong again!!! Some of the foam on the very bottom was shot, not wet, but dry rotted. I replaced all of it. It is most definitely an engine problem. Until two years ago at WOT it ran 30 - 33 mph @ 4800 revs. Then from one trip to the next it went down to 3800 at WOT and 20 mph. And that 10 mph IS A LOT at those speeds. I would like some serious help here guys. I was getting help here before and had some other problems for a while, now I come back and, let"s just say I'm worried, and time is running out for this year. I'll soon be putting the boat In my brother-in-law's barn for the winter and can't work on it much until spring.

Last edited: