Can't Get Cover (Cowl) off of 2004 Johnson 115 HP

Formost

Recruit
So this may be a stupid question but I am stuck. I have had other outboards and to remove the top cover you simply flip down the latches and lift it off. I bought tis boat in November of 2012. The owner winterized it and fogged the cylinders, etc. I assume that would require the cover to be removed. I have had the boat out many times this year and haven't had the need to remove it until I had a fuel issue. I flipped down the lock on the front and the two locks on the back and pulled and it doesn't move. I wiggled, shook, tried to lightly pry in the seam and nothing. It doesn't budge.

What the heck is going on??? Any help would be appreciated.

AlTn

Commander
Re: Can't Get Cover (Cowl) off of 2004 Johnson 115 HP

have you tried flipping the handles up to release?...they may have a cam- like lock/release mechanism

Formost

Recruit

have you tried flipping the handles up to release?...they may have a cam- like lock/release mechanism

They only flip down because of the way the cover is molded

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, The parts list looks lik my '98 Johnny 150HPV6. Two latches, one in front center, one in rear center. Set them to the midnight position and the cover should come off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're sure all the latches are in the open position beat the hell out of it once as I've seen those cowling seals stick.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

On my engine you flip the latches up to unlock but you have to lift the cowl up at the rear first. Johhny 150 hp

Formost

Recruit

If you're sure all the latches are in the open position beat the hell out of it once as I've seen those cowling seals stick.

I took the wiggle and pound approach and it did come off. Wow, what a tight fit and seal. Thanks to all who posted