1982 Johnson 175 HP outboard

ramzzey13

Cadet
Hi all, I am having some trouble wiring up my Johnson to a new ignition key. The reason being is that there is a yellow wire coming off of the engines power pack going to the "B" on the keys ignition switch. If anyone can shed some light on what this yellow wire might be doing (plugged in to where it is) I would greatly appreciate it. Just to reiterate this is not a wire that is with the original wiring. I am just wondering why the person who owned this before me thought it was necessary to run this additional wire to the Battery slot on the turn key ignition. What are some of the functions (or all) of this power pack? Thanks a bunch! -

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Johnson 175 HP outboard

Not sure just what the function of that yellow wire is. Normally, there is a yellow/black wire which connects the M terminal to the power pack. When the key is turned to off, this wire grounds out the power pack, killing any spark. In your picture, the wire appears to connect to the terminal strip, which is not the power pack, but sits next to it. Perhaps you can clarify just where it connects.

ramzzey13

Cadet

I guess my question is now. Where does the ignition line go to the key which line I cannot find the correct one? is it one of the lines 1-8 coming out of this power pack? I traced everything and it is hooked up according to my readouts! Thanks

Attachments

• 20130801_194929_resized.jpg
    20130801_194929_resized.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Looks like the yellow wire is the hot wire, it joins at the terminal strip a line running off the top of the solenoid to the left of the picture

Fed

Commander

The positive to the key should come off the under cowl fuse and be a purple/red wire.
There are stickies at the top of this forum with links to full circuit diagrams. (Max Rules)