140 johnson v4 1988 choke problem

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice
My 140 johnson will not choke , hard start. I can not get the choke to work when holding in on the key as it should. I can choke it by raising the little red lever under the cowl .Can anyone help me find the wiring diagram to the choke from the control handle, color of wire to the harness, any help with a wiring diagram? I would like to know which wire to search out , or where to look on the engine for the solonoid that opens the choke . Should start easy, but choke does not work. Jack

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 140 johnson v4 1988 choke problem

Your motor has a primer solenoid rather than choke plates. The little red lever (part # 34) is on top of it. You didn't specify your exact model number but here is what your set up looks like in an exploded view. Part # 21 is the primer. Unplug the solenoid and use a multi meter to see if power is going to the primer when the switch is activated and go from there. If there is power then it could be the solenoid is dead.

Evinrude Intake Manifold Parts for 1988 140hp E140CXCCS Outboard Motor

Last edited:

key has to be turned to run position then press key in. If primer lever is pointing towards the body of the primer you should hear a light click sound as the primer opens. If you can get a friend to assist, pump fuel bulb till firm then ask them to turn key one click right then press key in and see if the bulb is no longer firm.

Electrically the choke gets power from the key by joining the B terminal to the C terminal at the key. The choke wire is Violet with White stripe. The wire stays the same color all the way to the primer solenoid. If there is no click then use a meter and trace the problem to source.

Best way to start that motor is to pump bulb till firm. Turn key one click then push in and count to 10. Lift idle lever fully then crank for 5-10 seconds. If engine doesn't start repeat. If engine starts it may rev high so push down idle lever and allow engine to settle (you can bumb the choke by pushing the key in if it starts to stall but don't hold the key in for to long)

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice

key has to be turned to run position then press key in. If primer lever is pointing towards the body of the primer you should hear a light click sound as the primer opens. If you can get a friend to assist, pump fuel bulb till firm then ask them to turn key one click right then press key in and see if the bulb is no longer firm.

Electrically the choke gets power from the key by joining the B terminal to the C terminal at the key. The choke wire is Violet with White stripe. The wire stays the same color all the way to the primer solenoid. If there is no click then use a meter and trace the problem to source.

Best way to start that motor is to pump bulb till firm. Turn key one click then push in and count to 10. Lift idle lever fully then crank for 5-10 seconds. If engine doesn't start repeat. If engine starts it may rev high so push down idle lever and allow engine to settle (you can bumb the choke by pushing the key in if it starts to stall but don't hold the key in for to long)

Thanks, looked it over, found that the cold start lever on shifter nut had worked loose on the back side, never letting fast idle work, and making shift lever hard to put in gear. I did hear the soloniod activate, and know now that the head pressure from the fuel bulb is where the pressure for the primer system works, understanding to pump up pressure while holding in the key to prime system for 10 seconds will help me a lot. thanks so much, jack

lol sry I must have explained badly. Once pumped up then use the primer for 10 seconds with out pumping up any more. The reason is you want a bit of gas to start but you don't want a huge amount. You can crank and use choke but if the engines being a pain it will start and flood at the same time then its a pig to start as the plugs are wet. I personally think the gas goes in in less than a second and the other 9 seconds allows to to run around so it can be vaporized easy for starting rather than being a puddle of gas. I was told that's the way evinrude/johnsons like to start and it works for me so that's the way I do it.
P.s don't push key in on a warm motor as they are easy to flood I use to make that mistake a lot :facepalm: