1976 evinrude 135 hp

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice
Hello this is my first time and I am in no way a boat mechanic. I have a 135 hp evinrude year 1976. I bought this motor from a friend. My compression is 125 125 123 and 127 on 4 cylinders. My problem is a rough idle and when I go half speed its fine. When I tromp it down it will die unless I hit the choke then it will move on. The spark is good also. The carbs were cleaned a couple weeks ago. The primer bulb just never feels full like my other boat.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 evinrude 135 hp

Welcome to iboats

Dirty carbs and/or misadjusted float levels, probably low. Fixed hi and low speed jetting makes for no adjustments. Carbs not tight to manifols and a bad gasket in this area can cause this as well

Last edited:

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice

That was a quick reply. I will check to see if it is tight. Do I need to clean hi lo jets?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need to pull all the jets out of the carb to clean and visually inspect them for any restriction. The fuel primer bulb will get hard when you pump it up the first thing each day. Once the engine starts to draw fuel through the line, the bulb will get softer, but should not collapse on itself. That's normal. A rough idle could be due to dried fuel gelatin restricting the small idle passages inside the carbs. You can't get that out unless you have a fuel cleaner product like a Gumout type product. Are you working from a factory service manual?

Last edited:

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice

No I am not using any kind of manual. I really don't know where to start pulling the jets or where their at. I know how to take the carb cover off and spray a carb cleaner into the 4 passages. I bought this engine from a boat mechanic. I have took it back twice and he did clean the lower carbs the last time. He took it all apart and sprayed it out with cleaner then air hosed it. It does run better but not like it should. He goes out on it with me and it runs perfect. I take it out and it starts. Is it bad to run it with bumping the choke to make it pick up. I only hit it like 2 times and then it runs good. Where can I get a manual so I can learn to do this stuff on my own. Again thanks guys for all the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can get an original factory manual from this website: outboardbooks.com If the engine picks up when you choke it, the engine is running lean. That's not a good thing on a 2 stroke engine. Possible fuel restriction in the carb. That engine only has idle and high speed jets. I'd be inclined to pull all 4 high speed jets out and examine them. You need to confirm that 1. they are open/clear visually and that
2. they are the correct jet size per the original factory parts diagram. (check out the factory parts list at epc.brp.com) The factory put .061 jets in all 4 holes. You'll need a special screwdriver to get any jets out. Contact your Bombardier dealer and ask for part number 317002.

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot I will check into getting a manual. I've been working so I only get time for my boat on the weekend. Thanks again for all the help.

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I finally got the carb kit and installed. All jets were clean. It really looked spotless . I still have the same problem. I have to bump choke to hit high speed. I bump it at half throttle and it picks up. I put a new fuel pump too. I just don't get it.

curtis1979

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone care to try? I've done as asked and sgill no improvement

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Clogged fuel filter, air leak somewhere in fuel system