HELP! - How to adjust High/Low Speed 1958 Johnson/Evinrude

Jolou

Recruit
Hi guys,

I'm a girl who owns this nice 1958 boat (35 HP) with it's original motor.

The problem is that i live in Canada and i cannot find any expert for vintage boats.

The motor is working fine except when i want to go on high speed, the motor kicks and cannot get into full speed. I started to play with the 2 carburator knobs but was not able to find the right tuning.

I think i did something wrong because now my boat smells gas and smoke is coming out.

Is there a technic to adjust the carburator (like step 1, 2 , 3....?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jolou

1958 Marlin Glass Boat - Gale Buccaneer 2.JPG1958 Marlin Glass Boat- Gale Buccaneer.JPG1958 Marlin Glass Boat - LIFE ON MARLIN.JPG1958 Marlin Glass Boat - Gale Buccaneer 2.JPG1958 Marlin Glass Boat- Gale Buccaneer.JPG1958 Marlin Glass Boat - LIFE ON MARLIN.JPG

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HELP! - How to adjust High/Low Speed 1958 Johnson/Evinrude

The top adjustment is the low speed needle valve. Turn it in (clockiwse) until it seats gently. Then back it out 1 1/2 turns. The bottom adjustment is the high speed needle valve. Do the same thing only back it out 3/4 turn. These settings will be "close" but you might re-adjust as needed to make the motor run smoother. What do you mean when you say "it kicks"?

Jolou

Recruit

Thanks for info...

My primary being French, can please explain what you mean when you say 'seat gently'?

Do i have to turn the knobs when the motor is running still or at full or low speed?
or before i turn the motor on?

It kicks on and off like the if the gas flow is not stable (it roars for a few seconds, than stops, roars again stops....).

The motor is stable on low speed except for the gas smell and smoke.

It nice of you to take the time to help me. I can't wait to be on the water with my boat.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

"Seat gently" means to not over tighten the needle valves, they are made of brass which is soft metal. Over tightening will damge the point, so, stop tightening just as you feel it bottom out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

At the higher RPM, you say that the engine "kicks". Does it give you the sensation that you're hitting a submerged object... motor actually jumping at the transom?

Jolou

Recruit

It is like the gas is not flowing on a regular basis in the motor - like if i was riding with a tank that was practically empty but still at gas in it.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I think that once you get the needle valves adjusted correctly, that should go away.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Jolou

Recruit

Thanks for these details.

I tried to adjust the carburator today and did follow the instructions (well,i tought so). I realized after the engine died that i made an error and adjust the high speed using the top knob instead of the bottom one.
As a result, i was not able to start the engine again. I was lucky enough to find a nice gentlemen who pulled my boat back to the shore.

I will try again tomorrow and hope that the motor will start.

Did i ruined the spark plugs, what should i do before i try again?

Merci!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That error should have absolutely no effect on the spark plugs.

Before you leave the dock..... do the initial needle valve adjustment, pump fuel to the carburetor, and get the engine running.

Jolou

Recruit

Looks like the problem of the motor is the fuel pump (the diaphragm is cracked).

Does anyone know where i can order this part from Canada.

Motor is a 1958 Johnson (Buccanner/ Gale) 35HP.

Thanks!