timing on 67 golden meteor 100 hp

nolanb

Cadet
I have a 1967 Johnson golden meteor that I have been working on lately and I'm having trouble getting the timing correct. I do not have the manual for the motor yet (the previous owners didn't have it) so I don't know where to start. My symptoms are when I try to start the motor it will crank and crank and try to fire but then fail. I have been making sure not to crank for too long so I don't cause starter or solenoid failure. After I crank the motor 2 or 3 times it will usually start but idle and run rough. If I keep the start lever in the on position I can put the motor in gear but if I put the start lever back into the off position the motor will die. As I said I'm not sure where I should start to troubleshoot but any advice would be great. Thanks!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: timing on 67 golden meteor 100 hp

That sounds more like a fuel related issue to me. Probably dirty carbs.

nolanb

Cadet

OK. I was trying it a little while ago and I started to get super slow cranking speed on the flywheel so I hooked up a brand new battery while the old one charges and I'm still getting super slow cranking. Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Run good known jumper cables directly from a good known fully charged battery to the electric starter.

If you now have a good cranking rpm, then obviously a cable is bad, loose, or tight but dirty.

If you still have slow cranking, then either the starter needs reworking (usually very hot!), OR the engine has suddenly become unusually tight for some reason. Check engine by removing s/plugs and turning by hand.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Was the new battery fully charged? It also could be a bad connection on the ground or starter. Actually, if the motor isn't starting and you are wearing down the battery, you should stop and do some diagnosis. Get a spark tester and check for bright blue spark on all cylinders. Disconnect the fuel pump on the carb side, crank the motor (a little) and see if fuel squirts out.

nolanb

Cadet

I'll give those things a try. Also what can I do to clean the carbs? There are no kits that I can find for it and buying all the new parts individually will cost a small fortune.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'll give those things a try. Also what can I do to clean the carbs? There are no kits that I can find for it and buying all the new parts individually will cost a small fortune.

Actually, unless the float needle valves have worn tips, all you would need is the gaskets. Very unlikely that the floats themselves are faulty. I'll look to see if I might have anything you could use in my remaining stock.

nolanb

Cadet

I'd appreciate that immensely! Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Leave that carburetor alone unless you have a good reason to think it needs service. It is a 4bbl carb, with obsolete parts and $$$$expensive parts if you do find them. Maybe Joe does have them for a reasonamble price?

Sounds to me like your throttle cable might be out of adjustment. It should be adjusted so the motor idles with the red lever all the way up. Is the choke operational?

nolanb

Cadet

Choke is fully operational. Do you know how to adjust the throttle cable?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats. We can help you. Please start a new topic. Tacking onto this 3 year old one is against the forum rules. In fact, it is against the forum rules for me to reply to it.