*Update* 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

Darb1984

Recruit
So I acquired this Johnson 3hp seahorse and it ran great for about 7-8 fishing trips. Then it died on me and left me stranded in the middle of the lake. With some inspecting, it seems to be one of the ignition wires between the coil and plug had shorted out... Causing the lower cylinder to not fire. Doing some searching online, I can't really locate replacement wires.... Can I use generic ones? Or ones from a different model? Any ideas? Help! Thanks.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

Re: 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

Use 7mm Hypalon copper core wire. You should be able to buy it by the foot at most Johnnyrude dealers, or some auto parts stores. Make sure you get metal core wire.

Darb1984

Recruit
*update* Re: 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

*update* Re: 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

Hey guys, thanks for the help. That link was an awesome resource! Replaced the wires and changed the plugs. Brand new! Unfortunately it wasn't my only problem... Got it to start up an run, just not as easily as before. The RPMs fluctuates without any change to the throttle. On further inspection, I discovered gas bubbles seeping from the joining surfaces of the crank case. Could that throw off the air/fuel mixture? Causing my problem? Is there suppose to be a gasket or does it join with silicone? I posted a video of it running. Notice the RPM variation, the stall, and crank case leak. (The red silicone is a failed attempt to block it enough to see if it would effect the RPMs)
Johnson 3hp trouble... - YouTube

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: *Update* 1952-54 Johnson jw-10 ignition wires?

Glad you got her running Darb. I see what you mean about the rpms. I'm not very familiar with motors quite that old, but all of the OMC motors I've had, did use a gasket between the intake manifold and the power head. I just changed one on my '66 20hp, in fact. You may be able to simply snug down the bolts to take away leak. However, if that doesn't work, I suspect you'll need to remove the manifold and replace the gasket itself. It's not hard. Just a few small bolts. Even a small air leak can have a noticeable effect on the rpms, so be sure to check the rest of the fuel lines for any possible leaks as well. Here's a link to a parts catalog for a '55 JW-11 3hp and it does show a small gasket on page 10, part # 18. I suspect yours is the same.

Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 376399

Darb1984

Recruit

Glad you got her running Darb. I see what you mean about the rpms. I'm not very familiar with motors quite that old, but all of the OMC motors I've had, did use a gasket between the intake manifold and the power head. I just changed one on my '66 20hp, in fact. You may be able to simply snug down the bolts to take away leak. However, if that doesn't work, I suspect you'll need to remove the manifold and replace the gasket itself. It's not hard. Just a few small bolts. Even a small air leak can have a noticeable effect on the rpms, so be sure to check the rest of the fuel lines for any possible leaks as well. Here's a link to a parts catalog for a '55 JW-11 3hp and it does show a small gasket on page 10, part # 18. I suspect yours is the same.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/376399/37639900001.htm]Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 376399[/url]

The leak isn't between the intake manifold and the power head. However, the joining surfaces of the crank case. (If you see in the video where we made a mess with the silicone) I was wondering how they're joined? And, i don't see a gasket in the parts diagram link you provided. When looking at the crank seam, I don't see the edge of a gasket. I tightened down all the screws involved. Yet still get bubbles seeping out from the cracks. I know im gonna have to tear it down. I just wanna know if i need to order a gasket...and where? Could i use high temp silicone? Or do i have to "mill" down the surfaces (not fun, btw) Thanks for any who can help...ill keep posted.

side note: i was getting around 60psi in both cylinders.

kfa4303

Banned

Gothca. If the leak is on the crankcase, there's no gasket between the two halves. Instead, you'll have to disassemble the powerhead an apply a new bead of OMC engine gasket sealant. I'm not sure if it can be cured from the "outside" in, so to speak.

Darb1984

Recruit

Ok. I'm getting frustrated. So to fix the crank case leak, I'm going to tear the motor down. So I'm going to need new gaskets and other consumable parts while I have it apart. marineengine.com, from what I can tell, doesn't go back to 52-54 seahorses. I know they made seahorses well into the 60s. Will a newer model fit? I would hate to have my motor apart to discover I have wrong replacement parts. Any help locating them would be appreciated. Thx.