1961 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp 2 stroke hard to start ?!?!?!

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice
So the issue with my 2 stoke outboard is that i can pull start it just fine without the spark plugs in, as soon as i put the spark plugs in, i cant pull start it, as in i pull as hard as i can, and the thing moves a little but thats all. I checked the exhaust and its not blocked by anything. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with this? i looked at the manual and cant seem to find a solution or whats going on. please help, im planning on going on a boat trip/fishing Sunday with my father whose not going to be a round for much longer, please help!!!!

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1961 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp 2 stroke hard to start ?!?!?!

That's weird... Have you got the right plugs in it? Champion J6C I believe, have you tried turning it over with just one plug installed to find out which one might be causing the problem?

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

yes i have tried with one plug out, its hard to pull, but not impossible, it seems as if the compression of the engine is so great that thats the reason its too hard to pull.
I removed:
exhaust manifold
head and gasket
fuel pump
carb
air intake/ reed valves
other parts off the block(you can see all 12 holes in the side of the block showing the piston.

the motor is using Champion J-4J sparkplugs

I tried not putting the spark plugs in all the way, its still hard to pull, and i hear the air coming through the threads of the sparkplugs

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you had the motor for some time and it just started doing this or is it new to you and done the same thing since you got it? Have you actually used a compression tester to see what your compression is? Have you checked the plugs to make sure the pistons are not hitting them?

Edit: Just noticed you already have a thread running on this subject a couple of pages back!!

Last edited:

rcpro88

Seaman Apprentice

Yes because I solved that problem and now it presented me with another.