Help with troublshooting elctronic ignition on 1997 60 HP Johnson

Dukemeister

Cadet
Hi. I am stuck troubleshooting a no-spark foult on my motor. Motor died suddenly, it wated to fire up and actually caught for about 1 second then died. I quickly found it had no spark to any of the 3 cylinders. It's got electronic ignition. Anyhow, I am following this checklist: (page 9 of the pdf, or page 23 in the doc).
https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/downloads/cditech/CDI-Troubleshooting_Guide-JOHNSON-EVINRUDE.pdf
I got to step 2 (big progress)... but it took a while to get that far. I couldn't determine how to disconnect the black/yellow wire to check the kill switch. Anyhow, I ended up just cutting it near the power pack. There is still no spark, and this is where I am stuck. I found 2 yellow wires connected together on a vertical gang strip, and I removed them from there and separated them, still no spark. But I'm not sure this is what I'm supposed to do... perhaps I need to remove the rectifier and disconnect the yellows from in behind? Any help appreciated.
Also, step 3... where do I test for resistance? I found a few connectors with brown wire anda few with brown/yellow... but no connector that I can see has both together. I got zero connection/resistance to any of the ones I checked. Looking at the pictures of stators I believe I may have to remove the power pack to get at a connection stuck in behind it... any help appreciated.

Do tests 4,5,6,&7 have to be done with engine turning over or ignition switch on? (I assume the former).

If there is a pictorial or descriptive article to help me do the other tests I'd be most grateful for a link. I have a peak reading DVM on standby.
Thanks, Duke.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with troublshooting elctronic ignition on 1997 60 HP Johnson

Welcome to the forum.
I couldn't get your site to load to look at it. I use CDI electronics website to trouble shoot electronic ignition problems, they have great trouble shooting guides. Look up your engine and see if it helps you out.

Dukemeister

Cadet

Welcome to the forum.
I couldn't get your site to load to look at it. I use CDI electronics website to trouble shoot electronic ignition problems, they have great trouble shooting guides. Look up your engine and see if it helps you out.

The checklist I got is from CDI, Here is a more accurate version (I think, because my motor has quick start and SLOW):

NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER:

1. Disconnect the black/yellow stop wire and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a faultpossibly
the key switch, harness or shift switch.

2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the rectifier and retest. If the ignition now has spark, replace the rectifier.

3. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below:
Wire Color Check to Wire Color Resistance DVA Reading
Brown wire Brown/Yellow wire 450-550 150V or more Connected
Orange wire Orange/Black wire 450-550** 150V or more Connected
White wire Purple 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Blue wire 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected
White wire Green wire 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected
** NOTE: Some engines use a 50 or a 100 ohms power coil.
^^ This reading will vary according to the meter used. Do a comparison reading and if there is a difference
of over 10%, replace the timer base. Typically, use the Red meter lead to the White wire and the Black wire
to the other wires.
Johnson/Evinrude Troubleshooting

4. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to spark properly.

Dukemeister

Cadet

NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER:

1. Disconnect the black/yellow stop wire and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault possibly the key switch, harness or shift switch.

I cut the wire at the power pack, still no spark. When I put a ohmmeter to the switch side of this cut wire and to engine ground, it shows a connection with zero ohms. When I make a connection between the pack side and engine ground, it reads 1.55 ohms. Is this normal?

2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the rectifier and retest. If the ignition now has spark, replace the rectifier.

Done, no spark.

3. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below:
Wire Color Check to Wire Color Resistance DVA Reading
Brown wire Brown/Yellow wire 450-550 150V or more Connected
I opened up the 5 pin connector and read between the pins stator side, got 0.5 ohms

Orange wire Orange/Black wire 450-550** 150V or more Connected
No connection/Resistance
White wire Purple 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected

Nothing
White wire Blue wire 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected

Nothing
White wire Green wire 1.1M-2.4M ^^ 0.6V or more Connected
0.3 ohms
** NOTE: Some engines use a 50 or a 100 ohms power coil.
^^ This reading will vary according to the meter used. Do a comparison reading and if there is a difference
of over 10%, replace the timer base. Typically, use the Red meter lead to the White wire and the Black wire
to the other wires.
Johnson/Evinrude Troubleshooting

So, does this mean stator and timer base are pooched?
Possibly rectifier and power pack also pooched? Or is there something shorted in the kill circuit? Thanks.