2001 Evinrude 115 HP FICHT injection pump issue - low pressure

billbrach

Cadet
When the motor is cold, PSI as measured at the schrader valve is mid 20's. With the engine idling, pressure slowly falls off, over 10 minutes or so, to 5 PSI, at which point the motor usually coughs and dies.

Does this sound like a bad injection pump ?? Pressure at the lift pump, as measured at a temporarily installed "tee" on output side, stays in the 4-6 PSI range the entire time.

I have the OEM service manual and diagnostic software and cable, and the only unusual event was an EMM overheat, that occurred once, at about 265 hours. Engine now over 267 hours.

Any ideas ?? Anything else to check ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 Evinrude 115 HP FICHT injection pump issue - low pressure

Could be the high pressure pump going to heck but they only cost around $740.00 and I don't think they are serviceable. There might be a fuel filter in it but doesn't show it in the parts break down.

billbrach

Cadet

Thanks boobie, I think I will pull it off, disassemble, and take a look. Also think I will make sure it is getting power all the time while the engine is running, even tho' it runs when I turn the key on.

BTW, on some web sites that are selling the part, the original part # 0439347 is marked obsolete, and has been replaced by part # 5004428 but Evinrude.com lists the original part # as available. Evinrude wants $739 for it and I've found it elsewhere for $599. Any idea about WHICH part # I should order ?? Again, thanks for your reply.

Bill

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with the cheaper one if it has any kind of warranty on it.

billbrach

Cadet

Took about an hour to get the pump/vapor separator off the back of the block. You have to remove the left side lower cowling, and pull back the right side, to get to the C clip on the right. Yes, ONE C-CLIP holds the whole thing to the back of the block !! On the left side, there are two grommets, that slots in the bracket on the pump assy, slide into. Didn't figure this out until I'd removed the pump from the vapor separator, while still on the engine.

What is crazy is that ONE screw holds the fuel pump to the separator, yet you cannot buy just the pump !!

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you find any internal filters ?? You can thank OMC/BRP for not selling parts for it. I know, it SUCKS.

billbrach

Cadet

There is nothing that specifically looks like a filter, but I have not disassembled the vapor separator yet. The only unusual thing you see from the outside, is that there is a square "pin" in the fitting that the return fuel goes into. Return fuel as in the line that has the schrader valve in in, the rearmost, lower fitting on the right side of the vapor separator.

If you think about this fuel system a bit, it seems to me that there needs to be some sort of constrictor somewhere in the fuel system, to cause the pressure to rise to 20 - 30 PSI. Its possible that the square pin I am seeing, is that constrictor. Will find out later when I disassemble the vapor separator !!

Every place that I can see inside a brass fitting on this assembly, the brass is very dark, almost anodized looking. I'm guessing that this is result of alcohol in the fuel !! BTW, the actual fuel pump looks like a dog to disassemble, so probably not take it apart. Vapor separator looks like it could be disassembled and reassembled, except might need new gaskets when taken apart. At this point, I have nothing to lose in taking it apart and maybe a lot of knowledge to be gained LOL

Edit: Just looked at the pin thingie in the return line connection and I'm *pretty* sure it is a relief valve, as I surmised above.

Last edited:

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes there is a filter and a pressure reg in the two brass fittings on the bottom, And you can thank the E.P.A for this part not being serviceable. I have many times seen pieces of fuel line stuck in the pressure reg fitting you can clean it out buy using shop air, blow into the fitting. You can check your work by pressurizing the valve with some type of air pump. It should hold 28 for 10 to 15 min. And also remove the pump and check the metal screen on the bottom.

billbrach

Cadet

OK, I've now disassembled the vapor separator. BUT, before I did that, I decided to run water thru the water fittings on the separator. WOW, I think I've found the problem. A tiny trickle comes out the other water connection, no matter which way I force water through it, This probably explains the EMM overheat code that I saw. So, I took the screws out the bottom, and separated the bottom from the vapor/separator cylinder. WHAT A MESS INSIDE !! The bottom of the fuel compartment, the inner portion, had quite an accumulation of sediment in the bottom of the fuel area. Don't know the injector hole size but I sure see that the crud in there, could easily plug an injector. That's the good news, the bad news is the reason I was only getting a trickle of water through it, was because there is a huge amount of jelly-like corrosion byproduct packing the hollow space (the water jacket if you will) between the inner and outer cylindrical shells of the fuel cooler. Think two concentric pipes, spaced 1/8" apart. In this 1/8" space the water circulates to cool the inner fuel container. BTW, inside the top of the fuel section is a nifty float, like in an old carburetor bowl, that lets the vapors out until the fuel level rises, and then the float shuts off the valve, keeping raw fuel out of the vapor recovery line.

After looking at all that corrosion inside the water jacket, I've decided to order a new assembly !! There is so much corrosion on the flange that goes up inside the cylindrical section, that there is no way the O-rings up inside, would ever seal it up again.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Damn I loved those old carbed motors. LOL. Glad you found the problem.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad you will be replacing the VST. In the north this would cause the VST to not drain properly, and would freeze over the winter, then the top cap would lift allowing raw fuel to spill into the engine compartment. And that is not good, later on OMC added code 57. High RPM with no change in TPS volts. This would shut ignition off, until code 57 was cleared. Us techs had a saying for this. Code "Hood higher then expected range.

Last edited:

billbrach

Cadet

"On some web sites that are selling the part, the original part # 0439347 is marked obsolete, and has been replaced by part # 5004428 but Evinrude.com lists the original part # as available. "

I asked the above in another post, but have not gotten any replies. Anybody know if I should order the newer part # 5004428 ?? Are there any BRP people watching this thread that can answer this ??

Thanks,

Bill

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

# 5004428 is the correct and the latest part

billbrach

Cadet

Thanks Seahorse, I've already ordered it !! AND, I want to THANK EVERYONE who has replied and been so helpful. Will let you know the outcome with the new part.