99' Johnson 115 VRO Hose Replacement

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a '99 Johnson 115 V4 (J115pleem) and the VRO is still hooked up and working fine. I have heard all of the horror stories and people say to bypass the VRO and premix, but premixing 26 gallons of fuel seems like a PITA. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Well, mine is working fine but on the hose going from the remote tank to the VRO, there is a single splice connector with two worm gear clamps, right where the Oil/ Fuel retainer would bolt into the lower cowling. From what I've read, this isn't this way from the factory and must be something that the previous owner did.
I don't have a problem with there being a splice, because as I said, it's working fine. But the splice connector and the clamps are rusty and I would like to replace them. The hose itself seems fine and I have no leaks or alarms, but I would like to replace this splice with a brass one I have so it will never rust again.

Is this something I can do without having to worry about priming the VRO again, or too much trouble? What is the best way to approach this?