1962 28hp Johnson carby bowl vent postion

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All issues with my carby point to a blocked vent in the bowl .I'm new to outboards and not sure where to find this vent hole .I'm hoping it?s just a small hole that can be cleared by pushing a needle through it .:joyous:

Kevin

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 28hp Johnson carby bowl vent postion

Wrong, it is a huge hole. I suppose a mud dauber could plug it, but.. Anyway, look at the big hole where the air enters the carburetor. Beside that is the vent hole, about 3/8" in diameter.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks F-R. That hole was full of all sorts of bugs etc including insect mud huts. We cleaned the hole out initially but not the connecting hole as we didn't understand that there were any. I stood the carby up on the bench today and poured fuel into the vent hole. The level of the fuel dropped slowly down taking a few minutes to drain. I assuming that the vent transfer hole is around 6mm all the way through to the top of the carby bowl and the fuel should instantly drain out? Any way I will take the carby to work and blow some compressed air through it. If I can't clear it I will have to take the welsh plug out.

Regards Kevin

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You did well, diagnosing that as a vent problem.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The power of google search is strong