arcing at battery (positive) cable

dburton

Recruit
While removing the starter bracket and starter as one piece together I removed the first hex nut on the threaded stud on front of the sarter then the red wire and then the second hex nut at this time the stud that held the wire and two nuts moved in and out then after putting all back together after rebuilding my carb then I hooked the negative to the battery and positive to the battery it totally arced bad enough to melt the metal that holds the positive cable on the battery ! My question is the stud on front of the starter by me taking the hex nut loose and was able to move the stud in and outward could something on the inside of the starter fell off the stud causing that much arc like a short going to ground?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: arcing at battery (positive) cable

You have figured it out. The second nut holds the unit together. Sounds like you need a new solenoid

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: arcing at battery (positive) cable

Just for the moment, let's disregard the starter. The cable melted at the battery???? Something wrong with that picture. That connection was loose or corroded or something.

Back to the starter, you may have shorted it by taking that second nut loose, Can't tell from here. You'll have to inspect it.