1976 evinrude 25 hp fuel leak from oil hose nipple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys! this is my first post so please allow me to introduce myself. my name is Dana, im an ASE master automobile tech and recently bought a 1976 evinrude 25hp (tag # 6102e-j01898) the problem im having is at first start up and at idle speeds the (I think its called) small oiler hose that goes from the bottom of the block to the top of the engine (just under the flywheel) is dribbling fuel on top of the engine and running down.. at first I thought it was a cracked hose, I removed the hose from the top nipple and realized the brass nipple actually has what appears to be a vent hole in it? what am I missing? im sure the fuel is actually leaking from the vent hole of that top nipple again, mainly at low speeds and start up. Thanks for any input. cant wait to take my boys out fishing!
Thanks again,
Dana Garton

Re: 1976 evinrude 25 hp fuel leak from oil hose nipple?

It sounds like what you're describing is the recirc line (I'm assuming they had recirc lines in '76, I might be wrong). You can find parts diagrams at www.shop2.evinrude.com. Also an OMC factory service manual for your engine is highly desireable, you can usually find used ones on ebay. If not then outboardbooks.com should have a new reprint, but I think they're a good bit more expensive than the used ones.

It sounds like what you're describing is the recirc line (I'm assuming they had recirc lines in '76, I might be wrong). You can find parts diagrams at www.shop2.evinrude.com. Also an OMC factory service manual for your engine is highly desireable, you can usually find used ones on ebay. If not then outboardbooks.com should have a new reprint, but I think they're a good bit more expensive than the used ones.

yeah a manual will def be in the near plans.. not sure if we are talking about the same deal or not.. it also appears to be leaking excessive unburned fuel/oil as seen by it actually dripping through the exhaust overflow vent hole near the lower end fill plug? kinda at a loss here. im suspecting way to rich at idle? any input as always, is greatly appreciated.

yeah a manual will def be in the near plans.. not sure if we are talking about the same deal or not.. it also appears to be leaking excessive unburned fuel/oil as seen by it actually dripping through the exhaust overflow vent hole near the lower end fill plug? kinda at a loss here. im suspecting way to rich at idle? any input as always, is greatly appreciated.

any ideas? im hoping to look at it some more tonight. is it possible i have a fuel float issue causing fuel to be pushed through the tube and out the vent? also may explain the crud coming out of the exhaust drain overflow?
Thanks again
dana

any ideas? im hoping to look at it some more tonight. is it possible i have a fuel float issue causing fuel to be pushed through the tube and out the vent? also may explain the crud coming out of the exhaust drain overflow?
Thanks again
dana

wasn't able to pull that link up ...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

hello guys! this is my first post so please allow me to introduce myself. my name is Dana, im an ASE master automobile tech and recently bought a 1976 evinrude 25hp (tag # 6102e-j01898) the problem im having is at first start up and at idle speeds the (I think its called) small oiler hose that goes from the bottom of the block to the top of the engine (just under the flywheel) is dribbling fuel on top of the engine and running down.. at first I thought it was a cracked hose, I removed the hose from the top nipple and realized the brass nipple actually has what appears to be a vent hole in it? what am I missing? im sure the fuel is actually leaking from the vent hole of that top nipple again, mainly at low speeds and start up. Thanks for any input. cant wait to take my boys out fishing!
Thanks again,
Dana Garton

That hose circulates oil from the lower main bearing to the upper main bearing. I just can't imagine it having a vent hole. You sure about that? There's something wrong here.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! Just Google "Shop2 Evinrude" to find you motor. By the way, unburned fuel / oil out of the exhaust is normal. It cleans up a bit at 4k on the water. As F_R stated, no vent on that. Post a pic.....

Welcome to iboats! Just Google "Shop2 Evinrude" to find you motor. By the way, unburned fuel / oil out of the exhaust is normal. It cleans up a bit at 4k on the water. As F_R stated, no vent on that. Post a pic.....

ok thanks guys ill try to do that. yeah it seemed werird to me as well. not sure why there is a hole there. i can insert a paperclip into it... what size is that oil feeder line? i would like to swap them out as they are hard and fairly brittle. thanks again

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My book says 1/8" I.D. If you have a nearby Evinrude dealer, it is cut from 772570 roll. Probably easier to go to your local chainsaw guy.

My book says 1/8" I.D. If you have a nearby Evinrude dealer, it is cut from 772570 roll. Probably easier to go to your local chainsaw guy.

you guys are awesome thank you. i will head out in the morning. i guess i will just try to plug that hole that is in the upper brass nipple? jb weld or something similiar?

got the new line today. thanks u nailed it !/8" i.d. I may tear her down and take a closer look to why there is a hole next to the oil feed nipple.. ill keep ya posted. thanks again

looked at it closer today, found it looked like the previous owner may attempted (unsuccessfully) to drill out the brass nipple, im guessing it was obstructed? anyways he didn't drill it straight and ruined the brass nipple and drilled a hole directly next to the nipple in the powerhead! ????? not liking my chances here but an hr later and some handy jb weld applying I sealed it back up I think... time will tell. wish me luck! and thanks for all the help. I love learning new things

phillnjack2

Ensign

you stick around here long enough and youl hear a lot about engines that dont get talked about in any class rooms.

most of the outboard guru's on here are fantastic at solving problems from thousands of miles away let alone having their hands on it.
as long as you can describe the problems ,they will tell you how to fix it the BEST way.

I have been messing around with outboards for 40 years, and heard stuff on here i had never even dreamed about.
I didnt realise how much i didnt know till i found this site !!!!!!!.
and im often amazed at how much help these guys can be when you need them, and it seems like a 24 hour
emergency back-up team is always on hand to give us guidance.

iboats is the best thing on the internet for anyone with a boat.

phill

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Also keep in mind that a photo of what your dealing with is worth a thousand words. We'll be seeing you again soon! :lol:

Also keep in mind that a photo of what your dealing with is worth a thousand words. We'll be seeing you again soon! :lol:

thanks guys, I replaced the oiler line with a clear line and sealed the hole, no more fuel leak.... that's the good news, the bad news is I don't see a whole lot of oil running up the line to the upper engine. .... that's the bad news... it runs a bout a 3rd of the way up the new hose and stops.. don't have a real good feeling about this one...anyone have a good 25 horse they are lookin to part with? :)

JDD 200

Cadet

you stick around here long enough and youl hear a lot about engines that dont get talked about in any class rooms.

most of the outboard guru's on here are fantastic at solving problems from thousands of miles away let alone having their hands on it.
as long as you can describe the problems ,they will tell you how to fix it the BEST way.

I have been messing around with outboards for 40 years, and heard stuff on here i had never even dreamed about.
I didnt realise how much i didnt know till i found this site !!!!!!!.
and im often amazed at how much help these guys can be when you need them, and it seems like a 24 hour
emergency back-up team is always on hand to give us guidance.

iboats is the best thing on the internet for anyone with a boat.

phill
Phill, I got a 1999 evinrude 200hp. Rebuilt power head. Engine is super strong. I noticed it was hard to start the last time out. I had oil in the intake box. Dripping from brass nipples into intake. Any ideas ??

JDD 200

Cadet
Phill, I got a 1999 evinrude 200hp. Rebuilt power head. Engine is super strong. I noticed it was hard to start the last time out. I had oil in the intake box. Dripping from brass nipples into intake. Any ideas ??
Anybody fill free to give suggestions.. thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anybody fill free to give suggestions.. thanks.
The suggestion box is closed due to old age and mold. Start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.