1978 55 hp evinrude motor starting but dying shortly after

The Forbulator

Recruit
I bought my first boat around 2 months ago and before buying i made sure that the motor on the boat started and ran, which it did. Now that i have purchased that parts necessary for the boat to get onto the water I tried to start the motor with muffs and the motor started but then idled for about 10 seconds and died. I have tried playing around with the choke and occasionally the motor will idle a few seconds then die or it will die immediately.I have no clue what to start with. any and all suggestions would be nice. I have a friend who is mechanically inclined who will be helping me with this, so feel free to offer any advice.

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 55 hp evinrude motor starting but dying shortly after

Welcome to the forum.
Are you pumping up the primer bulb until it is firm?
Are you using the cold start lever for a faster idle when cold?
What is your starting procedure?
Will it continue to run if you hold the choke on?

Last edited:

The Forbulator

Recruit

The primer bulb is hard, and it wont continue running whether the choke is on or off. I do not know what or where the cold start lever is. The choke has a manual placement lever on the motor that can be put in between on and off, also i think there may be something that turns the choke on for a split second when I press the key in all the way and turn instead of just getting the key into the ignition and starting that way.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

When you push the "in", it should make the choke solenoid click and the choke should close. When you turn the switch to the start position and push the key in at the same time it will choke the engine,
You should have a lever on the side of your control box, not the shift/throttle lever, that you lift up to give the engine extra RPM for cold starting.
Can you explain how you are trying to start your engine?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

i suggest reading the sticky at the top of the forum for general educational reasons.

The Forbulator

Recruit

I found the lever, it blends into the control box so it almost seems to not be there which is probably why i missed it before. when i would start the motor i would have the choke lever at around half and then i would make the solenoid click and the starter crank simultaneously without using the lever. Most of the time when I would do that the motor would start for a few seconds and then die like i said. with the lever should i start with it all the way up before trying to start the motor?

The Forbulator

Recruit

i just got the motor to stay running with the lever about half way up. after a minute of the motor idling at the higher speed i put the lever down and the motor dies out, but if i put the lever down and then quickly put the throttle forwards or backwards i can keep it running and the prop moves accordingly. I want to figure out why the boat wont stay at idle without dying :facepalm: