need more power. 1954 johnson QD-15

ryan 98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi. I have a 1954 johnson 10 hp that i like to run on a 8' tiny titan sea flea, all together me and the boat wegh under 300 lbs with everything except the motor. I was wondering what the best prop would be to get the most top end speed. Further more I run the motor without a cowling, pull start and any uncecary decrative parts to save weght and just because i think it loks cool as the cowling has been bucherd with spray paint, are there any more mods i can do to get more power from the motor? I know that it can be fitted with a 15 hp carb but im yet to find one at a resonable price, can i just change the jets? if so what size would be best for top end speed? finaly ive seen manny merc's with tuned pipes and even one jhonson however it was newer, even just for the sound and the looks, dose any one know of aplace you could get them for this motor or of any one has ever made plans for a set that would work for my motor because i could fabricate a pair if theres plans for them out there, or even judst gidelines in how to make them. Thanks to all that reply.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: need more power. 1954 johnson QD-15

Ryan - here are a few things you can do to make it a better motor for a pond rocket.

If rebuilding the powerhead is within your skill set, find yourself a set of pistons and rods out of a 1962 Johnson or Evinrude 10hp. It'll have heavier duty wrist pins with roller bearings to replace the bronze ones in your existing motor.

Find a flywheel off a 1958 or later 10hp. It's a bit smaller in diameter and a tad lighter. Will allow quicker acceleration and put less stress on the crankshaft. You're existing recoil won't work any longer, but you've removed it so that's not an issue.

Find an old style 2-blade bronze prop from Michigan. Might allow you to jack the motor up higher on the transom. The folks at Michigan Wheel might be able to point you in the right direction as far as prop number. Likely something in the AJC series.

Don't bother with the 15hp carb. Won't do anything but make the motor run like crap. No jets to change, either, as the carb is metered by the high and low speed needles.

Same with the pipes. They'll just make a lot of noise and annoy the neighbors. Throwing pipes on a motor without doing the other things to increase flow through the motor can actually make it run worse. Then you're getting into porting (an art form in itself) and crankcase volumes and flow rates, etc. All of which takes someone who REALLY knows what they're doing to make it work. And the little 10hp really isn't the best platform for a lot of machine work as it would very likely come unglued at anything approaching the revs of the Merc you saw.

You'll find there's more speed in getting your set-up optimized than there is in trying to modify the motor. Making sure the bottom is clean and straight, getting the motor as high as you can and still plane off and pump water, trying as many different props as you can get your hands on, playing with motor angles, getting the motor to run as good as possible by dialing in the carb correctly and setting the timing bang-on.

There's a lot of drag in those lower units so cleaning up the surface could get you a little speed. Might try thinning the skeg a little and sharpening the leading edge. You could also fill the gearcase cap screw recesses with some sort of compound that would be easily removable later when you need to service the unit. Maybe some kind of semi-hard putty or something that dissolves with a little heat?

Most speed comes from easy stuff. In the end, if you want to go faster, get a bigger motor. A 1953-54 Evinrude 15hp powerhead will bolt right up to your 10hp leg...

nwcove

Admiral

i fully agree with chinewalker........its all about attention to the small details. they will add up and benefit overall performance. ( just dont over rev it, or it will grenade!) jmo

ryan 98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice i have a 1965 evenrude 9.5 hp, will the fly whell work off of it? and rebuilding the powerhead is within my skill set and ive wanted to antway to repaint it because it was also spraypainted in the past but atleast it was the right color, anyway i will try and find the 62 pistons and rods. finaly ive started a small restoration on the engin cowel today since i had some free time and happend to find a very close matched color in wall mart. 6 hours of paint stripping, 8-10 coats of primer and 5 coats of green later and its starting to look good again. now i just have to find the dull silver tomorrow and i think all do it in a clearcoat. oh and finaly i have already proped the motor up to the proper height on the transom and it makes a huge difference.does anyone know where i can get the decal set that shipps to canada?

ryan 98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

one more thing does anybody have an expoded type diagram or shop manual for my motor just so i hve an idea of where thingd go if i forget. theres always that one spring that you have no idea where it went when your done. thanks!