Johnson 2 hp Recoil Spring

JGMcKeel

Cadet
I was just given a 1983 Johnson 2 hp outboard to use with my dinghy. The previous owner broke the cord and the screw through the cowling is missing (On order). The spring looks to be in good shape but I have a very novice question. When the new screw arrives, should it go through the eye of the spring or is there another pin that holds it in place?

BTW, most boys had a chance to take apart lawnmower engines and such but I've had to wait for retirement to play -- and I'm having a ball learning. This is my first project outboard so any suggestions will certainly be welcome! I have the books "Cheap Outboards" and the Seloc manual. Any other suggested reading for a novice?

Cheers,
John McKeel
S/V Santa Teresa
San Diego

JGMcKeel

Cadet
Re: Johnson 2 hp Recoil Spring

Thanks for the diagram but I can't find any pin to hook the spring onto. Perhaps these pictures will help:

photo.JPG

photo copy.JPG

I can see the hook on the end of the spring inside the coil but I don't see any peg or place for a pin on the housing. Should there be one?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The parts breakdown shows #1 pully and pin assembley, does it look like the pin might be broken off?

JGMcKeel

Cadet

Hmmm. I really appreciate your help. Would the pin be on the cover (where the recoil spring is located in my photographs) or on the pulley (as in the photographs below with the pulley sitting on the flywheel)?

photo-2.JPG

Thanks in Advance,
John the Newby

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Parts breakdown says pully and pin assembley, I would look at the pully for a broken pin.

JGMcKeel

Cadet

I've found the answer and I'll share the steps for people struggling with this issue in the future. The Johnson 2 hp seems to be a little different from the other outboards. There is a screw and lock washer that go through the cowling into the pulley that holds the starter rope. This locks the recoil spring and pulley into the cowling. There is no pin to hold the inner eye of the recoil spring. Instead the "c" shaped eye is held captive in a recess in the pulley. (See the photographs.) The key is to mate the slot on the pulley with the raised ridge on the cowling. Put the screw and lock washer in and then twist the pulley spindle until it drops into place. Then tighten the screw until the spindle is locked into place. I drew a pencil line on the cowling extending the ridge so I could see it when I put the pulley and spindle on. I also drew a pencil line on the spindle matching the hollow for the ridge so I could line them all up.

Note: Make sure the pull cord is wound onto the pulley and runs out the cowling.

Now for the tricky bit. I used two small screw drivers to line the "C" eye of the spring with the hollow on the pulley. There is a window in the pulley which I guessed was for this purpose. It may take a couple of tries. You'll have to rotate the pulley to capture the eye but once it is in place you can feel it.

Pull the cord just enough to hold the spring captive in the hollow. This is very important. If you allow the pulley to rotate backwards, the eye of the spring will escape and you'll have to start over. Therefore it is important to tie the handle on the pull cord with a little tension so the spring will stay in place.

Here is the picture of the spring in it's recess on the cowling. Notice the "c" shaped eye in the middle of the coil. It will match a hollow on the facing side of the pulley. Also notice the ridge extending from the hole in the cowling. The spindle of the pulley will line up with it.

RecoilSpring.jpg

Now notice the pulley. There is a recess that will match the "c" shaped eye of the spring. In addition there is a window that will allow you to manipulate the eye of the spring while you capture it. Finally, notice the indentation in the spindle that will mate with the ridge extending from the hole of the cowling.

spring_side_of_pulley.jpg

Good luck to you! The little 2 hp is trying hard to start now. I replaced the spark plug but I think I need to clean the carburetor next. That sounds like a whole new thread as I learn about carbs!