Carby issues 1962 28hp Johnson

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I brought a carby kit and installed it. I primed the fuel lines before trying to start the engine and fuel leaked from the front of the carby. I'm not sure is some leakage is normal? I started the motor and it seemed to be running very rich with the low speed adjustment knob having no effect on the idle. I screwed the low speed needle all the way in and then backed it off 1-1/2 turns when first installing carby kit as per instructions in manual. I couldn't run the motor very long as the impellor needs replacing. Any advice on what I should do to the carby next would be appreciated

Regards Kevin

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carby issues 1962 28hp Johnson

sounds like the float needle isnt shutting off the flow of gas all the way...

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So maybe I should bent the float arm a bit more so it pushes on the seat a bit harder?

lindy46

Captain

Yup, I usually bend the arm so the float is slightly higher (when upside down and needle seated) than parallel to carb body. That ensures the bowl doesn't overfill. But make sure the needle is seating and there is no gunk in there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't just bend the arm. You adjust the float level to spec. When that is done, and before you finish assembling the carb, tip it upside down and blow (by mouth) into the fuel inlet fitting. If air passes you still have something wrong -- such as a the inlet needle hanging up or up side down or the float adjustment is still wrong. Air should not pass with the carb upside down, but should pass air freely when held upright.

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HELP!
I'm still getting fuel coming out the front of the carby. I have checked the float level and it’s correct. Air will not pass with the carby upside down. With the bowl off, I connected a fuel line to the carby, and pushed fuel through it while holding the carby up the correct way. Fuel came out. I then pushed the float up with my finger, and the fuel stopped (which showed that the inlet needle was working). We put the old float in with the arm bent at all different angles, and nothing stops the fuel leaking out the front of the carby.

I took the carby to a mechanic who had a look at it and said everything looked correct, and couldn't see why it wouldn't work. He put fuel through it and had the same problem. After more testing, he found that fuel was coming up through the high speed nozzle. He then screwed the high speed needle all the way in and the leaking stopped. He suggested pulling the high speed needle out and having a look to see if there was some sort of issue.

Anyway I thought I would post here to see if you guys might shed some more light on the problem.

Kevin

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After doing some research could it be a clogged bowl vent?.Does my carby have one?