Alarm sounding on 1984 185hp Johnson

paul7

Cadet
I have 1984 185hp Johnson with VRO and I am getting an intermitten (2 sec) alarm at idle, sometimes, but not all of the time. I believe there are three alarm sounds on this motor, but I can't remember which alarms are for which symptoms. I think the three conditions are overheat, oil not pumping and low oil in resevoir. Can anyone help me identify which is which?

Thanks.

Fed

Commander
Re: Alarm sounding on 1984 185hp Johnson

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep... Overheat.
BeepBeepBeepBeepBeep that increases with engine rpm... Not pumping oil.
Beep -30secs- Beep -30Secs- Beep -30Secs-...Low oil.

The very 1st thing to do when working on VRO is to add TCW3 to your tank @ 50:1 premix ratio, running double oil won't hurt it at all.

paul7

Cadet

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep... Overheat.
BeepBeepBeepBeepBeep that increases with engine rpm... Not pumping oil.
Beep -30secs- Beep -30Secs- Beep -30Secs-...Low oil.

The very 1st thing to do when working on VRO is to add TCW3 to your tank @ 50:1 premix ratio, running double oil won't hurt it at all.

I am having the feeling that the sensor may be bad because this alarm(intermittent beep 1 sec) has sounded of and on over the past several weeks. I had the boat out last week and ran it for about an hour with no alarm. When I started it up yesterday, it ran on the hose for about ten minutes and the alarm began.

Since the sensor is made in the pump, does this mean that if it is a bad sensor, I will need to replace the pump?

I have disconnected the wire going to the oil resevoir, but I don't know where the sensor wire would be for the (not pumping oil) sensor. It must be inside the oil pump. Anyone know? Thanks.

Last edited:

Fed

Commander

(intermittent beep 1 sec)
It could be the low oil alarm chirping every now & then, I'd be doing some testing first as they are expensive.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

lines in good order, connections clean? not oily/cracked.