Old Evinrude cooling problem!?

pallkragen

Recruit
Hi everyone!

I just bought an old Evinrude 15 hp (worktwin i think) engine.

When i started it i noticed that all the cooling water is coming from the bottom of a pipe on the cylinder head (pls se picture). I looked here on the forum and from what i understand the cooling water should come from the exhaust pipe and not from the cylinder head!? Anyone knows why the water is coming from there? Is there some kind of plug that is missing or what can i do to fix this? Is the cylinder head broken?
Also if someone knows what year this motor is from i would appriciate it.

Sorry if my english is bad (im from Sweden):)

Best wishes
evinruden.jpgrörcylinder.jpg

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Old Evinrude cooling problem!?

the model number should be on the transom clamp, but if you look at the top of the "pipe" on the cyl head you will see a plug, there should be another plug on the bottom.

pallkragen

Recruit

the model number should be on the transom clamp, but if you look at the top of the "pipe" on the cyl head you will see a plug, there should be another plug on the bottom.

Thanks for your answer! I was just looking at a website wich described the cooling system for this motor. I saw that the water passes through the pipie on the cylinder head and down to the exhaust pipe on the leg. So this hole im asking about is not the hole that should hav a connection with the leg? You mean this hole should be clogged?
I have searched with on the net with the model number 15502C as I have and the only conclusion I have is that the engine is from 1965, that seems strange tho because the site didn't have engines with 15 hp that year. It makes me a little confused..
thank you for helping me��

pallkragen

Recruit

Thank you both so much for youre answers! I really appriciate it!

Im gonna get that plug at the store tomorrow. Im very novice when it comes to motors. I wonder how do i get that plug to stay, do i have to weld it?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

normally they press in, but i would epoxy the thing in place with jb weld.

kbait

Commander

Just place it in the hole, 'dome' side up, and hit the center w/hammer and 3/8" socket extension. It's made of aluminum and will easily expand to fit, and it won't pop out. Looks like you'll have to pull the head to do it... you should replace the head gasket if you do. Good news.. if water was gushing out that hole, then your impeller and cooling system is likely working properly!

Good luck.

Last edited: