Shut-off on pressure tank ('57 Johnson 18hp)

I'm having a problem with my pressure tank continuing to pump gas to my motor on my '57 Johnson 18. Both times I've noticed the problem I have already opened the cap on the tank to release the pressure, and heat from the sun seems to increase pressure sufficiently to being pumping fuel to the motor (and all over the motor well...). Apart from just leaving the cap partially open, is there a way to shut off the fuel line? It seems that leaving the a cap open will cause a lot of gas to evaporate between uses... any solutions?

Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shut-off on pressure tank ('57 Johnson 18hp)

Is the engine tilted up or is it down? An engine tilted up is more likely to allow the float to open and then the fuel under pressure flows. ISsues like this are one of the main reasons manufacturers abandoned the system. The only way to shut off the fuel flow is to disconnect the fuel line at the engine.

hogg

Seaman

You can convert that engine to a 'single' hose.
The instructions can be found on the Net. I don't know how to post the instructions I have.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You should always crack the cap after every use.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Opening the cap and listening to that satisfying hiss is what keeps us old guys going. Open it and leave it open just a crack to allow venting. The "shut-off valve" is to unplug the hose. But you still have to leave the cap loose, or someday you may fill the boat with gas leaking out of the fuel connector.

A follow up question: so open the cap and leave it cracked to keep the pressure from emptying the tank; should I empty the pressure tank back into a storage tank after each use to minimize fuel loss through evaporation? Or is the level of evaporation insignificant? I had to refill the last time I was out after leaving the cap open in the interim and it seemed sooner than I'd expected--but I hadn't measured how much was left in the tank when I opened the cap vs. when I closed it again before use...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It's insignificant. Shouldn't lose much due to evaporation...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just crack the cap, but leave it installed, and disconnect the fuel line. There will be minimal, if any, fuel loss.