2001 175 johnson ocean runner

daputz83

Cadet
Good afternoon. I am a new boater. I recently bought a 92 angler walk around with a 2001 Johnson 175. I took it to a mechanic to have it looked over because I wanted to ensure it was going to be reliable. Found out only three of the six cylinder s were firing and on them, had only 80 psi during the compression test. The mechanic suggested I scrap the motor and buy new but I thought I would ask the gurus here. I know 2001 was the off year for Johnson/omc so is he right? Would it be cheaper and make more sense to just buy a new motor or could this be repaired back to good condition? What costs could I expect? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. motor model J175VXSIG

daputz83

Cadet
Re: 2001 175 johnson ocean runner

The motor will crank and runs. But I need something I can take offshore and get home.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Your compression is fine. If it's only running on three cyls look for a bad power pack, stator or bad shift cut out switch. Don't take it back to that "mechanic".

daputz83

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I took it to what I thought was a professional business here in town but I guess its worth having someone else take a look. I was under the impression that compression needs to be 100 or greater. Is that not so?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, the mechanic was not smart enough to recommend you fix the spark problem, what makes you think he did the compression test properly, with an accurate guage?

If the readings are the same on all cylinders, the motor is likely fine for repair. Did the mechanic "just happen" to have a motor for you to buy?

willy007

Seaman

Did the mechanic "just happen" to have a motor for you to buy?

That would be convenient wouldn't it! Agree with Chris1956, if the compression readings are consistent than the motor is at least worth checking into. Don't dump a ton of money into it but if you can figure out the issue(s) yourself you may have a pretty good motor.

dazk14

Ensign

The fellas above are right on target.

Given that it's only running on 3 cylinders, it probably hasn't been used recently. The battery charge could be low, which would result in lower readings.

daputz83

Cadet

Thanks to all. The boat hasn't been registered for a year so it has sat for some time. The much. Didn't offer a new engine so it surprises me that he said to scrap it. He could/would get more out of me to repair it. Any advice on order of trouble shooting? Switch, power pack, stator? Again thanks for all the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sure, Charge the battery. Disconnect the shift assist switch and retest spark. Disconnect the temp sensors and recheck Spark. if no luck, you will then need to start troubleshooting the powerpack and stator. That motor should have a single powerpack and three dual coil packs. Because of those components, a no spark on three cylinders condition, does not point to the coils.

daputz83

Cadet

Picked motor up today and spoke with a different much. He recommended that I keep the motor and try replacing the power pa k. he said 90% of the time a bad power pack can cause 2,4,6 cylinders not to fire. He said sometimes when a starter goes out(which it did) it will kill the power pack also. After that he recommended checking the switch. Also mentioned old gas in the carbs could explain the poor compression. Thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like he has little idea what he is saying. Does he know about the SLOW system on the motor? Does he know about the shift assist switch?

daputz83

Cadet

I doubt it. To be honest I don't either. Time for some research

daputz83

Cadet

I am having trouble finding the shift inturruptor switch. Does anyone have a picture/diagram? Thank you.

daputz83

Cadet

Good morning. I found the switch but it didn't appear to be stuck. For good measure, I sprayed it with wd40. Next I removed the black ground wire and then pulled all of the spark plugs. When I turned it over, I did not see a spark on any of the six plugs. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

daputz83

Cadet

Okay so i am an idiot. It helps if you touch the spark plug against the engine...

So good news, with switch removed, I have spark on all six plugs! What confuses me is I thought the switch cut off the starboard side cylinders, but with it engaged, it is the port side that cut off. Am I just mixing up my lefts and rights?

So next step will be to replace the switch and then take it to a different shop for a second look. I am Hopi g my compression will improve as well once I get her running hot for a while.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Why not just disconnect the switch and water test it? The shift assist switch helps you go from gear to neutral. Be prepared to kill the engine, if she gets stuck in gear.

BTW, my shift assist switch sticks....I have to wiggle the throttle handle after shifting to neutral to get her to run on all 6 cylinders. It is annoying, but not as annoying and the $100 replacement cost of the switch.