1975 johnson 6hp water pump question

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I just ordered parts and when I recieved the impeller kit it looks to be too big. And it also says not to use with a plastic housing inwhich i have a plastic housing. My question being is this the wrong kit to use or did i recieve the wrong impeller? Do I need to order a metal housing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1975 johnson 6hp water pump question

Yes, that is the wrong kit, the one in the picture is meant for the older-style aluminum housing. You have the new, improved plastic housing with stainless "cup" insert, which takes a different, newer-style impeller.

Your 1975 6hp originally came with the aluminum pump housing, so it appears that a previous owner upgraded the pump.

The last (and best) of this model 6hp, 1979, came with the upgraded plastic pump. Take a look at this diagram and you'll see the parts you need to order:

Evinrude Gearcase Parts for 1979 6hp 6904E Outboard Motor

You can order parts individually as needed, or get the pump repair kit (#68 in the list), under $57.

HTH............ed

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks emc, very helpful. One more question. Would I be able to reuse this plate and gasket or should i replace. If you look one of the screw holes is cracked a little bit. And I don't have that silver housing in the parts diagram.is that needed?thanks again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

I would like to hear back as i need to order it in a few hours

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

With the housing hold down broken like that, I would order a complete kit.