1987 70hp Evinrude vro. Trouble starting, Common problem?

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice
I've got an 87 Evinrude, I had a previous problem with this with it barely turning the fly wheel. Checked batteries, all good. And ended taking th e solnoid and starter off, cleaning the connections and put it back together and full power. I was out troll g today and had to start the motor by hand. Is this a problem with these motors. Stuff rattling lose? I am going to do the teardown like I did before, can anyone help me, it this a common problem? The last time this happened to me was after a day cruising with the family.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 70hp Evinrude vro. Trouble starting, Common problem?

is your starter to weak to turn the flywheel? maybe this is on the way out. IS it bolted in tightly ??

How are the teeth on the starter bendix, are they worn down and slipping on the flywheel when trying to engage?

If you can start it by hand then it's a starter or solenoid issue as you have checked out your battery.

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice

The starter is new last year. All battery cables are new this year this year (that was expensive). This is the third time in less than a year this problem has happened but this time out on the water. I am now taking off the solnoid and cleaning all connections, wondering if it's a ground issue or could the solnoid be wearing down, it seems to happen after so many starts, of after a day of trolling.

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I just replaced the solnoid and still the same issue, except now the solnoid makes a hyper clicking sound when I try to turn it over.

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice

Woke up this am and after stepping away from the boat yesterday I went back to it this morning. I took thee cable from the block. Sanded it, greased it, put it back on. (tight) and turned over. Now to figure out how to prevent the this from happening again. I have a nylon lock nut o it but think I need a lock washer as well.