1980 johnson 35 idle and timing

cooperskanoo

Cadet
To fill u in. 1980 j35elcsm was steaming so replace head gasket and decked head and new thermostat, and watrr passages seem clear. which didn't fix steam issue so I looked to my "clymer" manual for help and decided to do my timing. My question is that when I do the initial timing do I do it with the motor running or not because the timing marks on the cam roller move about a half inch backwards once the motor is started. My theory was make them align while its running. Now with that said, it idles extremely high, by ear probably 1500 rpm and all my linkages are backed off and there is no screw in the idle adjust at the cable so that's not doing anything.

Where have I gone wrong because this is seriously doing my head in.

Any help please?!?!?!?!?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1980 johnson 35 idle and timing

Your steam issue could be a water pump problem, is there water coming out of the tell-tale?

cooperskanoo

Cadet

Yep huge flow of water with a little bit of sputter from exhaust relief until t stat opens then some fairly hot water in about double the quantity. I'm pretty sure the heating would be timing related though. Does anybody know the proper timing procedure

78 mckee

Seaman

Check the exhaust housing cover on the starboard side of the motor. If the exhaust cover gasket is leaking it will allow exhaust gases to infiltrate the water jacket and cause the motor to overheat. The water will move freely from the pump through the jacket to the indicator, so you think that the water pump is working ok, but the water jacket will also have exhaust gases in there and cooling will not be effective. This will also cause the water coming out of the water pump indicator to be very hot. If there is a leak in these gaskets, you will likely find the point of failure upon disassembly. Be careful removing the small bolts holding the cover in place, the bolt holes can corrode and hold the threads tight. Use a ?” ratchet and work them back and forth until the come out smoothly; these bolts are notorious for breaking off on “mature” motors. If you decide to remove the cover and replace the gaskets, be sure to use a gasket sealer.