1987 60 HP 2 stroke Evinrude Fuel Leak

sjb0239

Cadet
Experiencing sluggish or low rpm WOT. Idles great. I can't squeeze the primer bulb to the point that it stays firm. While on the water, at WOT, if I hit the cold start primer cylinoid button momentarily once or twice, it takes off for about 10 seconds then gets sluggish again. While parked in driveway, I pumped up the bulb and can see fuel coming from either the fuel line feeding the cold start cylinoid or the smaller feeder lines going to the carbs. Will that leakage cause WOT issues?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 60 HP 2 stroke Evinrude Fuel Leak

Not likely, you most likely have carb problems, the high speed circuit is clogged or restricted.
Any fuel leak should be repaired to prevent any chance of a fire, repair the fuel leak and see if it has any affect on the high speed problem.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.

sjb0239

Cadet

I will certainly get those fuel leaks fixed? I had removed the carbs, cleaned them to include running a tiny wire through the hi speed jets. It ran great for about 40 minutes up at the lake. Launched it about two weeks later. Started out ok but slowly got worse. Should I just toss in the towel and take it in? Sure hate doing that if it's something simple.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it ran OK after cleaning the carbs, I wounder if there is some trash in the fuel system.
I would just remove the high speed orifices and see if there is anything in them, maybe you have a fuel line flaking and causing your problem.

sjb0239

Cadet

I am excited to give that a try. *I further researched those carbs and discovered what I thought were the high speed jets actually aren't. *Question... So when I pull the screw plug, washer, orifice plug and inspect for cleanliness, do I need to be concerned about any adjustments when re-installing them?*

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The high speed orifices are not adjustable, just make sure they are seated to a sung fit when you put them back in.

sjb0239

Cadet

The high speed orifices are in there pretty tight. I don't want to damage them trying to spin them out. Running a small wire thru them suffice?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It would be better than nothing. If it runs properly after you clean the jets, you should think about replacing the fuel lines and pull the carbs again and make sure there is no trash in the bowels.