1970 60hp Evinrude outboard water pump?

WinnerCobra

Cadet
I would assume it has a water pump but does it have water jets at the top where it cycles out the water? If not where does the water cycle through? i had an old evinrude and the water cycled out the top through a small port. I have 2 ports just below the powerhead but have not seen water cycle through. I want to be sure im not cooking my outboard.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1970 60hp Evinrude outboard water pump?

That engine does not have a tell-tale, you can install one if you want, lots of info if you do a search.
The water will come out of the prop if you are running it on a hose. With the engine in the water you will see some water spitting out of the exhaust ports on the back of the engine.
If you are not sure about the condition of the water pump, replace it.

WinnerCobra

Cadet

Alright so were now replacing the water pump but we also noticed another issue, It seems the motor is burning through ALOT of fuel. We went on a 2-3 hour run and used 4 gallons of fuel. Is that normal or are we using excessive fuel? If so should we mess with the lean/rich mixture?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The mixture needles on your engine are for the low speed circuit in the carb, they do not control the high speed side of the carb. The high speed jets are fixed and are not adjustable.
There is a old rule of thumb on fuel consumption, I think it's something like you will burn 10% of the horsepower per hour at wide open throttle. So a 60hp engine will burn 6 gal per hour. There is no set rule for fuel consumption, there are to may variables when it comes to weight, trim, type of hull.