1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 no spark on bottom cyl?

awiger25

Recruit
Hi, I have a 72 sportwin that I bought earlier this year and it has been a "learning" experience. So far, I have had to replace the impeller and go through the LU, replace the fuel pump, rebuild the carb and now I am only getting a spark in the top cylinder. I am not sure if i was ever getting the spark as it still will run OKAY.. I have new J4c plugs in there, both looked fine when i pulled them. I used a spark tester and just as expected, top has spark, nothing on bottom so i removed the flywheel. I was hoping to see something looking dirty on the points or a cracked condenser but nothing obvious.. the points are shiny like new, everything looks great! I am wondering if i should just replace the coil, condenser and get the rebuild kit or if there is something else to try?? I am also wondering which coil goes to which cylinder? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I am only 18 and have alot of learning yet to do!!

Thanks!!

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 no spark on bottom cyl?

try cleaning the points, just because they look shiny doesnt mean they are clean. pull a piece of emery cloth through both sets, then a piece of clean fiber free paper dipped in acetone or thinner. maybe post a pic of the mag plate. front coil...above the carb is the top cyl. there should be a brass clip near the plug boot on that wire.