1978 evinrude 75 hp

enric0

Recruit
I have a 1978 evinrude 75 hp, not sure if it's an ELR or LR and can't really tell the difference. Runs well, except the Power Pilot throttle controller unit drive gear keep slipping, and the throttle cables are to stiff they keep slipping both in the throttle controller unit and on the linkage end of the motor itself. Also, it seems like 1 in 50+ times, when starting, the ignition switch blows. I've resoldered it once and completely replaced it once, and now I need a new one again. What could be the problem there?

Also, I ran it hard on wide open mostly, for a full day on the river, and It ran well, but on the way back to the dock it lost serious horsepower and was barely putting along. I sprayed some starting fluid into the carbs and it almost killed the engine. I pulled the plugs and they all look normal (the bottom piston looks abnormally clean in 1 spot, but I assume it's from the starting fluid pooling down there). Now, I've been running it without an air filter in the air-intake to the carbs, but only this year. also, the fuel bulb does lose pressure when I turn off the engine, but I don't think it's the problem here because the bulb was full when the motor started putsing. what might be the problem and how do I troubleshoot it?

I'm going to replace the witing and accessory switches this weekend because they're all old, corroded, and unreliable. Any recommendations?

What kind of cable can I use to replace the throttle/gear shift cable, where do I get it, and what other concerns might I have?

What can I replace the Power Pilot throttle controller with? I want something new, and RELIABLE, and some advice on linking it up to my outboard.

I have the engine manual, have quite a bit of experience with small engines, most of the necessary tools for small engines, and am on a budget. Thanks so much, guys and gals.

Last edited: