Question on Amplifier replacement for 1969 Evinrude 85993e

the k-man

Cadet
Basically the original part number has changed multiple times as seen here under number 39

an ebay listing has this with part 397123 matching one of the previous replacement numbers. I was going to order but noticed the ebay listing only has a total of 3 wires (2 and 1 with the plug on the end) while the original had 4(3 and 1 with plug on end). Obviously this doesn't seem good, or did they change what was necessary?

Any help or comments appreciated.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on Amplifier replacement for 1969 Evinrude 85993e

The original had a grey wire for a tachometer. Those special CD tachs haven't been available for many moons, so I guess it is a moot question.

It says that is a remanufactured part. That's interesting. I wonder how they get into that thing to do anything with it? Or do they just recycle the black box? I dunno.

the k-man

Cadet

The original had a grey wire for a tachometer. Those special CD tachs haven't been available for many moons, so I guess it is a moot question.

It says that is a remanufactured part. That's interesting. I wonder how they get into that thing to do anything with it? Or do they just recycle the black box? I dunno.

Okay well you answered it perfect then. I guess I will give it a try then. You hit it on the head, auction says all new wire and circuit board, black box being the only reused part.

Thanks

the k-man

Cadet

Okay so the amplifier I got came with an additional part that I am unsure of. Its the small black piece as well as the orange and black wire on the right side of the pic.

There is no part on the motor that looks like it, the closest thing I saw was this.

Any thoughts? Can I just mount the black box back (amplifier) up and not use the other parts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The rebuilder evidently thinks the coil needs to match his amplifier, or he wouldn't be supplying one. I wouldn't try to second guess him.

the k-man

Cadet

Alright well from what i can tell the coil wire screws into the distributor cap. Is that correct? If so is it worth trying to unscrew and screw in the new wire without removing the flywheel, or is this something that requires flywheel removal?

I ask because I have never taken the flywheel off and am/would be scared to do so.

If I have to take the flywheel off is the puller tool 378013 the best option. Looks like it runs 130 bucks!!!

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes!!!!!! sometimes the old wires when removed will break off in the cap- just remove broke piece with a needle nose pliers & screw in the new wire & hook up!! -should be good to go! These ="Repair" boxes were really rebuilt= they were the "Fix" many years back to the factory discontinuing tyhe old amp boxes! They were the Fix years back!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A year + old topic. The OP's last forum post was the one before your reply, Doc. Please don't reply to topics more than 90 days old.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to or shall I say MUST pull the flywheel.------Points must be cleaned and set at 0.010" , anti reversing spring must be inspected. distributor cap must be cleaned.