Rigging up fuel for test

NCDiesel

Recruit
The engine is a 1971 Johnson 4HP(4R71D). Long story as to why I don't have a tank and bulb, but suffice it to say I don't and certainly don't want to spend the $70-100 necessary just to test this engine. I looked on craigslist and used items do not seem to be available locally.

Any ideas/plans/schemes as to how I might rig up a temporary tank? The only idea I could come up with is a small tank I have with a bottom fitting supported above the engine for gravity feed but not sure that would work?

Thanks in advance !

PS: I do have the fitting for the engine.

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
Re: Rigging up fuel for test

that'll work...I've used it on hp's up to 18 hp...just don't forget it needs the fuel mix and not straight gas

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just thinking that you could start a siphon, and not have to put in a bottom fitting, which would render the tank unsafe for normal use.

NCDiesel

Recruit

Just thinking that you could start a siphon, and not have to put in a bottom fitting, which would render the tank unsafe for normal use.

I have a one quart steel tank with a bottom fitting already, and I use for testing auto engines. But now that you mention it, a siphon would be smarter. I could siphon straight out of the 50:1 mixture container I have for the chain saw/Leaf Blower.

Thanks!

NCDiesel

AlTn

Commander

you can get by for some brief testing with that mix but tcw rated 2 stroke oil is the normal requirement

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you get a bulb pump, possibly at Wal-Mart, get some fuel hose (auto store) long enough and clamp a piece on your motor fitting, then on the bulb. Make sure your bulb is the correct direction. Then clamp another piece of hose on the other end of the bulb. Stick the other end of the hose (open end) down in any gas can. Make sure the can is clean and prevent any debris from going into the can (duct tape for instance). The light breeze here always blows something in the can. You won't have a screen on the hose in the tank. This is only for testing, unless you're Red Green!