48 HP Johnson milky oil and non spinning prop

154james

Cadet
I was going to take the lower unit off to replace the water pump, and I noticed I could still spin the prop at the bottom regardless of whether it was in neutral reverse or forward, It's not a spun prop because the shaft still did move after I took the prop off. Also when I took the prop off the oil looked really milky (see picture below) and I don't know where to go from here in terms of repair. Thanks for any help.

http://i.imgur.com/qMJBNv9.jpg

Last edited:

fireman57

Captain
Re: 48 HP Johnson milky oil and non spinning prop

What do you mean that the shaft still did not move when you took the prop off? If it is in gear it won't move or what?

154james

Cadet

What do you mean that the shaft still did not move when you took the prop off? If it is in gear it won't move or what?

I typed that wrong, my mistake. I meant that when it was in gear the shaft still moved.

fireman57

Captain

take the lower unit off and see what is going on. Sounds like it got water in it, chewed up the gears. Probably time for a rebuild.

154james

Cadet

take the lower unit off and see what is going on. Sounds like it got water in it, chewed up the gears. Probably time for a rebuild.

I have the lower off and the water pump off, should I continue to disassemble? I am using the shop manual to take this apart by the way, not just blindly taking things off.

fireman57

Captain

If you have the OEM manual then by all means keep going! Get out the big snap ring pliers.

fireman57

Captain

any decent ones will work. You will need the long tines though. You will see when you get in there. I just got a cheap set at harbor freight that had multiple sizes.