Need help with 1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys. I have the mentioned engine and it says the original sparkplugs are champion j4j. Can I supplement them with a different brand/number? Thanks for your feedback

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help with 1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman

Those engines were designed to use champion plugs, that is what I would use.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum.

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Sir! I got the motor and it hadn't been ran in 20+ years. 9 cranks and she fired up but the impellar was broke so I dogged it off. I just ordered a new housing and the works so I think I am good with that. It would probably be a good idea to clean the carburetor wouldn't ya say?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Should have ordered the carb kit with the pump, save on shipping. Try it out after the pump and see.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

After you get the pump fixed, try running it and see how it runs. After sitting that long, I wouldn't be surprised if you will need to overhaul the carb.

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

After you get the pump fixed, try running it and see how it runs. After sitting that long, I wouldn't be surprised if you will need to overhaul the carb.

Thanks!!! Also I know this is probably a dumb question but what size boat would be good for this 6 hp?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

All depends what you are trying to do. Around here I have seen a 6hp on everything from a 10 ft john boat to a 16 ft fishing boat.

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

I mainly want to use it on the river, backwater lakes, creeks. No lakes

emckelvy

Commander

BTW, the Champion J4C spark plug is the replacement for the old J4J. The only difference is the "C" which stands for a Copper core.

The Stock Number for the J4C plug is 825, if the parts counter person wants to know. I usually get mine from the local NAPA store, they have no problem getting the various marine-use plugs.

Champion J4c - Champion Spark Plug ( #825) @ MarineEngine.com

HTH...........ed