1960 40hp johnson steering

steurerl

Cadet
I have a 1960 johnson 40hp motor. I have the steering tube, cable and link rod for it but i need to figure out how to hook it up and what adapter part i need to hook this up. This is the last thing i need before i can put the boat in the water. Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 40hp johnson steering

Because you have so little room between the motor and splash well, you will have to go with one of the steering mounts that goes below the motor clamps. They are available here at iboats.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No, that won't work for reasons I just said, no room. I may have spoken too soon about the alternative being available here. You may have to call and speak to a sales rep. Or visit the T&R website. They have several models to choose from. To tell the truth, I'm not a real big fan of any of them, but whaddia gonna do? The motor wasn't made for push-pull cable steering.

Here's one from the T&R site: Item number TWK-3475 T&R Marine

Last edited:

steurerl

Cadet

I guess i should of mentioned that i have a jack plate on it to clear the motor from the splash well so it could tilt all the way up. Expensive way to get it to clear but i got it for cheap and the only way i could think of to clear it so it sets back from the splash well about 5 inches. Will that still work? Thanks for all your help!!