Hard to prime fuel line

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I run my motor from the three different 6 gallon portable tanks and I've always have had a hard time getting the fuel line primed when I'm starting for the day. The fuel line runs from the portable tank through a water seperator, through the primer bulb and into the motor. I've replaced the fuel line, the primer bulb (good OMC bulb) and all of the connectors. I've also installed pipe thread tape on the threaded connector at the fitting of the portable tank.

To get the prime going, it feels like I'm squeezing the bulb 1,000 times. Sometimes, I disconnect the output of the bulb, put my finger over the end to make sure there's good suction. After doing that, I can get the prime going.

I don't know how many primer bulbs I've bought but there must be a weak link in this chain other than the bulb. What about the plastic connection that goes down into the gas tank? Is there something there that I could do?

I've got three different portable tanks and they're all inexpensive tanks that I bought at that Wally World place. Is it the tank itself that's the problem?

Thanks for your help on this. It's been driving me crazy.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Hard to prime fuel line

Shouldnt the output blow not suck?
Run a line straight from portable tank bypassing water filter to see if you can isolate the problem.
Check no air is leaking in at quickdisconnect on top of tank
All the different bulbs and different tanks youve tried should rule out those parts.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, what I meant by that is I'll squeeze the bulb, put my finger over the end and let go of the bulb to create a stronger suction.

How would you suggest that I check for an air leak at the quick disconnect? That's a really good thought. I know there's a small o-ring inside of it and I haven't replaced that in at least a couple of years.

Thanks

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try this ,when squeezing prime bulb have arrow on bulb pointing up .

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yeah, what I meant by that is I'll squeeze the bulb, put my finger over the end and let go of the bulb to create a stronger suction.

How would you suggest that I check for an air leak at the quick disconnect? That's a really good thought. I know there's a small o-ring inside of it and I haven't replaced that in at least a couple of years.

Thanks

If its leaking you can normally hear air hissing by the disconnect when you prime